Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

GOOD DAY DOCTORS. I HAVE 3 COUSIN THAT LIVE NEXT TO ME THAT

GOOD DAY DOCTORS. I HAVE 3 COUSIN THAT LIVE NEXT TO ME THAT HAVE COME DOWN WITH GALUCOMA, WITHIN A YEAR. THERE VISION IS DIM TO NONE, THEY HAVE LOST FAITH IN THEIR DOCTOR. IT"S TWO BROTHER AND A SISTER,THE SISTER EYE SIGHT WAS GOOD UNTIL THE DOCTOR PUT SOME DROPS IN HER EYES, IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS SHE COULD NOT SEE. THEY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE TO EASE THE PREASURE, AND IMPROVE THERE SIGHT. THANK YOU,GARY FROM BERMUDA.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

As you know, glaucoma can be a blinding disease. Once vision is lost due to optic nerve damage it can never be recovered. That is why early treatment is so important.

Dr. Rick :

As far as what can be done to improve their sight, it depends on what specifically has caused their vision to be lost. In patients with glaucoma there are other issues that can lead to vision loss and many of these issues can be treated and sight restored.

Dr. Rick :

There are other options to reduce the pressure in the eye. One common method is with a surgery called a trabeculectomy. In this operation a new drainage channel is created for the aqueous to drain, thereby decreasing the pressure. This surgery, in qualified hands, if very effective.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted your cousins need to consult with a glaucoma specialist. This type of doctor is an ophthalmologist who has had extra training just in managing difficult glaucoma cases like what you are talking about.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : As you know, glaucoma can be a blinding disease. Once vision is lost due to optic nerve damage it can never be recovered. That is why early treatment is so important.
Dr. Rick : As far as what can be done to improve their sight, it depends on what specifically has caused their vision to be lost. In patients with glaucoma there are other issues that can lead to vision loss and many of these issues can be treated and sight restored.
Dr. Rick : There are other options to reduce the pressure in the eye. One common method is with a surgery called a trabeculectomy. In this operation a new drainage channel is created for the aqueous to drain, thereby decreasing the pressure. This surgery, in qualified hands, if very effective.
Dr. Rick : From what you have posted your cousins need to consult with a glaucoma specialist. This type of doctor is an ophthalmologist who has had extra training just in managing difficult glaucoma cases like what you are talking about.
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HI. KENNY, ONE OF THE BROTHERS, WILL BE GOING TO THE DOCTOR IN 2 WKS,BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY TYPE OF FRUITS OR FOODS THEY SHOULD, OR SHOULD NOT EAT THAT WOULD HELP HIM.

No. There is really not any type of fruits or diet that will help with his issue, nor are there any that will harm him. It is safe to continue with his usual diet.