Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

One more question. My dad has Rosacea that started in his eyes

One more question. My dad has Rosacea that started in his eyes when he was about my age. I have no skin symptoms but curious if this could be the cause of all this? I've asked all the doctor's I 've seen about it and no one seems to think that is it.
Thanks for requesting me.

That is a very good question.

The cause of ocular rosacea is not known, although it is much more common in people with fair skin. While there have been no studies that show it is inherited, in as much as your father has fair skin an you do also, it can be seen to "run" in families. But, in the true sense of "my Dad had rosacea and, as such, that make it more likely that I will have it too?", there just isn't any data available to allow a good reply.

The only way to say if you have ocular rosacea is for your doctor to look for specific physical signs and symptoms since there is no specific "test" that helps to make this diagnosis.

If the doctors have closely examined your eyes and eyelids and reviewed your symptoms, risk factors as well as possible contributing causes and found no evidence of ocular rosacea then, I believe that, you probably do not have this condition.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Does this answer your question?