Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Son had double vision when he woke up, scared me! My 7 year

Son had double vision when he woke up, scared me! My 7 year old son told me this morning that he couldnt get ready for school yet because his eyes were "duplicating". It scared me,of course,so I sat with him and got him a wash cloth,and he said the lights were too bright so I turned them off. He was squinty eyed and rubbing his eyes and then in a few minutes after he woke up,was fine. I had him look at all kinds of things to check and he said it was all normal. Then he said "it happens every time i wake up then i rub my eyes and it goes away". I asked him if it happens when he wakes up himself without me waking him early for school and he said sometimes but only for a few seconds. I did all kinds of balance tests, etc on him this morning after it went away and he seems fine. I called his ophthalmologist and am waiting for a call back. Can this be normal for him??
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

As a father of five children myself I fully understand your concern and, no, I would not just pass this off as "normal for him"

From what you have posted it may be that he is suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. If this is the case, then simple lid hygiene and artificial tears may take care of the problem.

That being said, you son should be examined by a pediatric ophthalmologist to make sure nothing else is going on. Could this be from his small cataract? Yes, that may be what is going on but, as a father, I would feel better if he was seen by his ophthalmologist.

I do not believe this is an emergency; an appointment in the next week or two should be just fine -- although if he could be seen sooner I'm sure it would be better for you since, if I was in your shoes, I'd not be able to relax until I knew what was going on. :)

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i hate to say this,but what I am afraid of is a brain tumor or something like that. What are the chances of that with double vision that doesnt last very long?

Everyone thinks of brain tumor :)

And the good news? Brain tumors are very, very rare and they do not present with double vision that goes away, especially when there is no other symptoms.

I would put the chances of your son having a brain tumor somewhere between zero and negative worries there.

I hope this helps you to feel a bit better :-)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks! i chose excellent service,but I have 1 more question. He has his yearly exam appt in Dec. Should I try to move it up?

From what you have posted I think that will be fine. What I believe would be helpful is if you can keep notes on how often he reports this problem -- without pestering him all the time about it, Mom :). He is after all a Big-Boy now.... (my oldest daughter is due in December and we can't wait to spoil another child.)

Also, when he is having these symptoms look closely and see if you notice his eyes not pointing in the same direction or moving together. I don't think this is what is going on but if you can notice it the doctor would find that data helpful.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy to do anything I can to help. Have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou so much!

My pleasure. Give your son a hug from me :)