Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I got out of my car on a cool morning. I thought ar first my

I got out of my car on a cool morning. I thought ar first my right eyeglass lens had fogged over in the temperature change. But it was my right eye. My vision out of it was just like looking out a slightly frosted window except for a small clear hole in the center. It went away in about 5 minutes. I have had a bad cold.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Did your vision come back kinda like someone was turning a dimmer switch back on?

Do you have any medical problem or take any medication?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I am on a bunch of blood pressure medicenes plus I am taking Augmentin for my cold

Thanks for that information. This, however, is a very important question:

I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My vision came back like a car window being defrosted. It started in in the lower part of the vision field and then moved up till it was all clear.

Ok. Thank you for that clarification.

It sounds like what you are suffering from is something called Amaurosis fugax (AF).

Amaurosis fugax is the transient loss of vision in one eye. It has many causes and, in the early 1990's, a study called the Amaurosis Fugax Study Group defined and grouped them to help with diagnosis and treatment of this problem.

What can cause AF? It can be due to an embolism, problems with the blood, problems with the eye itself or, sometimes due to no cause we can figure out (idiopathic). I would be happy to go through all the different diagnostic possibilities in each of these categories but I don't think that is the best use of your need to know what to do.

AF is a symptom that something serious is wrong. It can be a warning that you are heading toward a dangerous vascular event such as a TIA, stroke or even death. It is important for you to see your ophthalmologist and possibly your internal medicine physician ASAP. What will they do? A complete history and physical, a complete eye examination, maybe a fluorescein angiogram of your retina, laboratory tests, possibly ultrasound of your carotid arteries or an CT/MRI of your head.

Treatment depends on what is found on the above workup.

I can not stress enough the need for you to be seen for a complete exam as soon as possible. I would call your MD now and see if he can see you before the weekend.

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks I will follow your advice

My pleasure. I hope everything turns out OK.

Have a good weekend.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.