eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience:  provide eyecare information for adults and children
63511224

I have a question about MONOVISION correction. I have myopia,

I have a question about MONOVISION correction.
I have myopia, can't see too well off in the distance, am over 50 but I can see fine up close. This is not too typical for people my age I hear.
I got a glasses prescription last Feb and had it filled for only the left eye, right was clear. I practiced with this and loved seeing both up close and distance. Then I tried a contact lens with the same set-up. However since I wear the contact constantly, I find the distortion up close is tiring...WHY? ...because the CONTRAST between the left eye which sees perfectly at a distance, and the right eye which sees just fine up close...is too great.

So what I wanted to try was a milder prescription...on my own. I can order $5 practice glasses from Zenni optical. My left eye needs a -1.25 sph, -01.50 cyl, 025 axis and +2.00 add, my right eye needs a -1.5 sph, -0.50 cyl, 175 axis and +2.00 add. What would a "softer" prescription be that I can experiment with for just the left eye? I just wanted to play with this to see if LESS contrast between my right eye and left eye would remove the distortion problem. I do not care if my sight isn't 20/20 I just want to be able to see more leaves and birdies outside and then be able to read a book with one lens. It would not work to correct the left fully for far and right fully for near since the contrast would still be there.

The problem with correcting both eyes for distance is that I can't see up close. I want to travel and hike and not wear glasses on and off, and don't want bifocals.

I know there are surgically implanted lenses with different focal pie slices, are there contact lenses like that?
Category: Eye
Expert:  eyesight2020 replied 1 year ago.

eyesight2020 :

Hello

eyesight2020 :

When you say you have distortion is more noticeable at near or at far when you are wearing the contact lenses?

eyesight2020 :

I ask because you have more astigmatism in the right eye and it could be that if your contact lense does not correct for it,that you maybe noticing the slight distortion at near.

eyesight2020 :

Also you left may not be fully corrected at distance ,so you may not be seeing as clearly at distance if the astigmatism was not taken into consideration.

eyesight2020 :

Doctors have different fitting and prescribing methods when it comes to monovision.

eyesight2020 :

So it may be that the distortion maybe due to the doctor giving you the full strength for near which may be interfering with your seeing better at distance

eyesight2020 :

Instead of giving you +2.00 for near in the right eye he could give you a +1.50 to try and see if it helps you to read adequately at near and not interfere with your distance vision

eyesight2020 :

Ultimately ,it would be something to discuss with your doctor the options we discussed above

eyesight2020 :

Ihope this helps

eyesight2020 :

Any questions let me know

Customer:

When they list the prescription it doesn't say OD or OS, there is one set of prescription on top of another, I was told the bottom one was OS...is that correct?

Customer:

What they did was correct only my left eye for distance, but when I'm wearing that left contact and I am on my computer I find I'm closing my left eye to read up close.

Customer:

I'm not wearing anything for up close because I seem to be fine/happy up close, I work this way full time.

Customer:

So assuming I gave you the correct prescription for OD, OS, how would I soften it for distance, not near. I believe it's the huge gap,differential, between an eye that can see up close and another that can see at distance, that is the problem. I think I could maybe train my brain with a softer distance prescription. I want to go to Europe and only have glasses as backup.

Customer:

...meaning I want the one-contact solution to work. I would not get Lasik done until I know things are working and stable.

eyesight2020 :

Yes

eyesight2020 :

,

eyesight2020 :

Yes ,if not written, the top numbers are OD(Right Eye);OS(Left Eye).

eyesight2020 :

is on the bottom.

eyesight2020 :

Decreasing the strength at distance or near so the difference in prescription between the two eyes is less may decrease the distortion.

eyesight2020 :

When I originally read your note,I misread the presriptions.

eyesight2020 :

I realize that you have greater astigmatism in the left eye. So if not corrected sometimes can give the impression of distortion.

eyesight2020 :

If you get a contact lens for the left eye that is weaker, you want to go weaker but stillmake sure you have legal driving vision.

eyesight2020 :

This may dcrease that distortion you are experiencing as well as balance your reading vision so you are not closing your left eye when you are reading.

eyesight2020 :

Discuss this with your doctor.

eyesight2020 :

You want to have it weakened so you still are satisfied at both distance and near.

Customer:

OK I'll ask him what a weaker Rx would be for the left eye. I think this has promise as long as it doesn't go to extremes.

eyesight2020, Optometrist
Experience: provide eyecare information for adults and children