Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a swelling along the bottom of my eye which is evident

I have a swelling along the bottom of my eye which is evident by a dark grey mask over the lower part of the eye which I cannot see through. What has brought this on so quickly and can it be cured as quickly as it arrived.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

If you are talking about curtain or veil like film that is "blocking" your vision and, when you look in the mirror the external part of your eye appears essentially normal, then I fear you are suffering from very serious and possibly blinding, condition.

Dr. Rick :

I fear that you may having a retinal detachment. This requires immediate treatment by a retina specialist. Left untreated it will cause total blindness in almost every case.

Dr. Rick :

If you can not get in to see an eye doctor immediately you should go to emergency so that they can call in an ophthalmologist to examine you.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Rick : I guess you have stepped away from your computer.
Dr. Rick : If you are talking about curtain or veil like film that is "blocking" your vision and, when you look in the mirror the external part of your eye appears essentially normal, then I fear you are suffering from very serious and possibly blinding, condition.
Dr. Rick : I fear that you may having a retinal detachment. This requires immediate treatment by a retina specialist. Left untreated it will cause total blindness in almost every case.
Dr. Rick : If you can not get in to see an eye doctor immediately you should go to emergency so that they can call in an ophthalmologist to examine you.
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have seen an opthalmic professional in the hospital who has sent a letter to my doctor requesting he make an appointment with a physician and then go back to her in one month. Your explanation is frightening.

Ya. A retinal detachment in progress is very frightening.

I am a retina surgeon and, from what you have posted, I would bet that is what is going on with your eye -- until proved otherwise.

Could is be a "stroke" in your eye, a problem with the optic nerve etc? Yes, of course. But, in my opinion you should be examined by an eye surgeon without delay.

It is 6 pm here in the USA so it must late evening in your part of the world. If you can not be seen tonight then you need to be seen first thing in the morning. I would rather, however, that you be seen now.

The good news? Retinal detachments can be fixed and vision saved with timely intervention.

In any event, do not eat or drink anything on the way to the doctor and bring all your pill bottles with you for the doctors to record in your record.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.