Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My six year old daughter has a chikenpox on the inside of the

My six year old daughter has a chikenpox on the inside of the top eyelid and the top of the eyelid is swollen and her eye is red

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

while her eye may not be involved if the white part of her eye looks white, there is the possibility that there is ocular pathology going on.

Dr. Rick :

If just her eyelid is involved then cold compresses and erythromycin ophthalmic ointment to the affected area 3x/day is all that is needed.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, she needs to see an ophthalmologist to make sure the globe itself is not infected. Undiagnosed zoster keratitis or uveitis can cause serious ocular damage.

Dr. Rick :

Also, although you may have already been told this, do not give your daughter any aspirin or aspirin containing products due to the slight risk of Reye's syndrome.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : while her eye may not be involved if the white part of her eye looks white, there is the possibility that there is ocular pathology going on.
Dr. Rick : If just her eyelid is involved then cold compresses and erythromycin ophthalmic ointment to the affected area 3x/day is all that is needed.
Dr. Rick : That being said, she needs to see an ophthalmologist to make sure the globe itself is not infected. Undiagnosed zoster keratitis or uveitis can cause serious ocular damage.
Dr. Rick : Also, although you may have already been told this, do not give your daughter any aspirin or aspirin containing products due to the slight risk of Reye's syndrome.

Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Not sure why you gave me a bad rating....Yes. I did miss the part where you said her eye is red....so, just more reason to go with my advice: Get her in to see an ophthalmologist before the weekend. This is not something that the pediatrician can deal with.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for your service

My pleasure. I hope she feels better soon.