pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

I have occasionaly been having issues with my vision that result

Customer Question

I have occasionaly been having issues with my vision that result in double vision. It first starts out as if I'm looing through binoculars backwards (where everything just looks a little farther away). Then it continues to get a little worse where my depth perception doesn't seem to be up to par. Then it eventually turns into all of that, plus double vision. It would happen here and there while I was in my teens. But very little since then. I'm now 29 and have been having issues with it the last couple days.
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 4 years ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to assist you today.

pippistrellodaqua :

From what you have described it sounds like the double vision is from an eye turn or tropia of the eye.

pippistrellodaqua :

Before the eye flat out turns you're likely experiencing symptoms due to a "phoria" which is the tendency for the eye to turn.

pippistrellodaqua :

A phoria or tropia cannot be easily corrected with glasses. These concerns are treated best via vision therapy.

pippistrellodaqua :

The goal of vision therapy is to train the muscles of the eyes to work well together to eliminate the doubling effect. I always recommend an eye exam in cases such as what you have described.

pippistrellodaqua :

Your eye drifts and causes double vision when you are fatigued. This is very consistent with indications for vision therapy.

pippistrellodaqua :

By performing these training exercises you will likely be able to maintain good binocular vision for much much longer.

pippistrellodaqua :

Some resources do exist on the internet to help you get a better idea of what vision therapy can do for you.

pippistrellodaqua :

I suggest starting at this webpage
http://optometry.osu.edu/research/CITT/index.cfm

pippistrellodaqua :

Some vision therapy equipment can be obtained online. I suggest starting with a Brock string which I've seen on Amazon and Ebay.

pippistrellodaqua :

I'm more than happy to answer any follow-up concerns you may have. Please don't hesitate to contact me again.

pippistrellodaqua :

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

Do you have any additional questions or concerns? Please consider leaving a positive rating for this answer. Thank you again for allowing me to assist you today.