Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dr. Rick its been three months since my surgery and my stitches

Dr. Rick its been three months since my surgery and my stitches have not dissolved yet. They are causeing my eye to itch and water alot. Is there anything I can do to stop it? I have tried artifical tears

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Those dissolvable sutures can cause itching. It is possible, since you are having a lot of watering, that one of the ends of the sutures has poked through your conjunctiva.

Dr. Rick :

The best thing to do is call your surgeon and see if she can see you today or tomorrow. She might need to either trim off the end of the stitch or, if things look healed up enough, she might even remove it.

Dr. Rick :

This is a painless thing to do and only takes a few moments at the slit lamp.

Dr. Rick :

I hope your eyes are doing better, that they are straight and you are not having any double vision.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Those dissolvable sutures can cause itching. It is possible, since you are having a lot of watering, that one of the ends of the sutures has poked through your conjunctiva.
Dr. Rick : The best thing to do is call your surgeon and see if she can see you today or tomorrow. She might need to either trim off the end of the stitch or, if things look healed up enough, she might even remove it.
Dr. Rick : This is a painless thing to do and only takes a few moments at the slit lamp.
Dr. Rick : I hope your eyes are doing better, that they are straight and you are not having any double vision.
Dr. Rick : Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you i will call him and see what he says

Sami,

Sounds like a good plan, you're eye shouldn't be tearing like that at this point.

Let me know what he finds. Have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just wnted to let you know that i went and so my surgon on friday and he said he thought because they are starting to dissolve

Sami,

Thanks for letting me know how you are doing

That could do it....glad the ends of the stitches were not sticking out.

I hope you are happy with how your eyes are aligned now. Take care and have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just got a quick question can you get an in grown hair on your eye lid? I have a white bump by my eye lids ands its been there for close to 2 months

That is most likely a plugged up meibomium gland, although ingrown hairs, I suppose, could happen.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Hope everything else is going well. Have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes every thing else is going good cant wait for these stitches to diisovle.

You have a good weekend to

I will do my best :-)

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long does it take for the insiion site to become less noticeable?

That is a very good question and it varies from patient to patient. Usually, however, by 8 to 12 months the incision is almost invisible...but, in some, it never goes away.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

How are you doing, Sami? I hope things are going well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My eyes are fine. i have been dianosed with thyroid cancer about a month ago. I just had surgery fridayu. And i got out of the ICU last night. Can't really talk because the tumor was really close to the vocal cords. so ia in the hospital going crazy i just want to go home and go to my jobs and school. Other than that i am fine.

Thats a long time for that to go away. how are you?

Things are going well. My youngest daughter just gave us a Granddaughter a couple of weeks ago so we are having fun with her.

I can't complain.

Rest up and heal fast. Take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats cool.

I will latly it been one thing after another with me it sucks

Things will get better. Don't let the dogs git 'cha down :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hope your right

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

You can trust me.....I'm a doctor ;-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I never heard that one before jk lol. I trust you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just wanted to let you know that i am doing a lot better now. Still in the hospital ready to get out. But overall i am ok.

I'm glad to hear you are doing much better.

I hope you heal up fast. Let me know how things are going when you get the chance.

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am out of the hospital just for the weekends. I was out with a friend last night at a bar to celebrate. And some girls ended up punching me. I got hit in the eye i had surgery on can this do damage?

Sami,

As long as your vision is OK I think that you will be fine this far out from your surgery.

Glad you are getting better. Next time, duck! lol!

Have a good day :-)

Dr Rick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its a little blurry but i will live its getting better. i f i saw it coming i would have ducked.

I am doing better I have to stay in the hosital during the weeks but thats ok. I am leaving for Arizonia on vacation this coming saturday for five days

Sami,

I know what you mean by "if I had saw it coming" In my youth I was a second degree black belt in Aikido (although now I'm just fat and old :(
and have missed a bunch of stuff coming at my head over the years lol!

Since things are getting better I believe you will be OK. But, if you have problems in Arizona find an eye doc to have a look at you.

I'm happy to hear you are feeling better. Have a wonderful vacation. :)

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will do thank you.

I need to get away
I know what you mean :)

Have a great trip.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just wanted to let you know i am doing very good. Just doing chemo four days a week for about 30 minutes. in 3-5 months i should be in remission.

Sami,

I'm glad to hear that you are on your way to a remission. I hope that the chemo isn't being too hard on you....

I will send positive thoughts your way :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not as bad a what some people say

Glad to hear it :)

Hang in there and don't let the dogs git 'cha down.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Never have

Never will

I have family and friends to do all the worrying

Excellent plan :)