Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

For about 15 minutes when I blinked I saw a bright white arced

For about 15 minutes when I blinked I saw a bright white arced line above my right eye. Now I see floaters in that eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

Dr. Rick :

How is your vision in that eye?

Customer:

Right now it seems a little watery and I see floaters.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer:

I don't have any medical problems that I know of.

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

I do take Paxil

Dr. Rick :

When you look with your right eye only, and looking straight ahead, do you notice a curtain or shade like thing coming across your vision from any direction or do you just see the floaters?

Customer:

I just see floaters

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It sounds like your retina is OK and you have just experienced a posterior vitreous detachment. Let me tell you a bit more about what is going on with your right eye.....

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:

Should I expect to see more arced flashes?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, you probably will as the vitreous continues to detach and stimulate your retina. The only thing you need to worry about is the signs of a detaching retina I've discussed above.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have told me I do not think you need to rush off to see an ophthalmologist today but I would call and make an appointment for a dilated exam in the next few days.

Customer:

Ok. I do have an appointment with my eye doctor today at 1 p.m.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you for your time. I do have an appt. today at 1 p.m.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi Janis,

I was just thinking about you today and wondering what your ophthalmologist found on Thursday. I hope you didn't have any retinal tears. :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick,

Thank you for thinking of me. He said pretty much what you told me. He said that my eye looks fine now, except for a large floater; but, he wants to see me again in six weeks. Also, he said if I notice a curtain effect or many more floaters to call before that.

I haven't had any more light flashes; but, I still have a floater that is a little bothersome at work.

Thanks for asking,

Janis

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Janis,

Good to hear from you. I'm glad you are doing OK.

That floater should sink out of your visual field and become less bothersome with time.

Take care and have a good evening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I hope you are well and have a good evening also.

Thanks again for the excellent service : )

~ Janis

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD