Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My son is 6 months old & I noticed that his right pupil is

Customer Question

My son is 6 months old & I noticed that his right pupil is larger than his left. I noticed this back when he was a month old but I thought it would go away. It shrinks down normally when light shines on it but go back up big again. I don't know if it mattes but when he was born that same eye had a clogged tear duct which is now gone. What could this be? I have a picture if you'd like to see.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, it would be really nice if you could send across the picture.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you have noticed the enlargement of the pupil when your son was as young as a month old, it points towards a congenital cause. One of the possibilities is that of unilateral myopia ( short sightedness due to a large eyeball). Though even this diagnosis is noticed much later in life. Have you observed any discripency in the size of the two eyes? Does the right eye itself appear larger than the left eye? Or does the cornea ( or the colored part of the eye) appear larger than the left side?

JACUSTOMER-1fmz4uuw- : Yes I am. Just a second ill get you a pic.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sure.... I'll wait.

JACUSTOMER-1fmz4uuw- : No the eye seems the same size.
JACUSTOMER-1fmz4uuw- : How do I upload my pic?
JACUSTOMER-1fmz4uuw- : I can't figure out how to upload it
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Give me a second I will explain...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In the chat box do you see an image of a tree or a paper clip?

JACUSTOMER-1fmz4uuw- : No I'm on a iPad. It's not there.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ummm..... actually I only know of this one method of sending a picture on this site...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Otherwise you can upload the image at Google images and once the picture is seen you can always delete it from there. Once uploaded you can send me its URL link.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I did manage to upload a picture on google images but unfortunately I do not how to delete it later.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But one for sure is that even if the pupil is larger in the right eye , its reaction to light is normal which matters more than its size as in case of physiological dilated pupil.

Customer:

Hi my computer died. I'm so sorry.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Nevermind... If you continue to chat then we could discuss further....

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you noticed any abnormal whitish reflex from his right pupil when you take his photographs.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Normally at certain angles, the pupils appear reddish when photographs are taken.

Customer:

No I haven't seen anything like that. Did you get my pic I submitted?

Customer:

Other then the large pupils everything else seems good. He watches everything. He can see me far away with no issues.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alright. In that case the right pupil is either physiologically dilated ( since it reacts normally) or there could be a slightly larger eyeball on the right side .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, I have not received the picture.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does he resist closure of his left eye, if at all you have tried that while playing with him ?

Customer:

I just checked his eye again & it when it gets smaller it is still a tiny bit bigger then the left side.

Customer:

I'll submit again.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok

Customer:

k i see it in the chat box now.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

What do you see in the chat box?

Customer:

the pic

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But I do not get to see it.

Customer:

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I clicked on the tree, URL, browse.

Customer:

I'll try google images

Dr. A.S. Desai :

After browse, did you click ok

Customer:

k i think i put on google

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I will try to see it now..

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, I did get to see it.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The eyes do appear to look normal but for the slightly dilated right pupil.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes i am

Customer:

let me check if he does

Customer:

no he seems to close both his eyes just fine

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That shows that the vision is equal in both eyes.

Customer:

so your saying that maybe his right eyeball is just bigger then?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, it does look like that.

Customer:

ok. whew. thank you for the reassurance.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any family history of myopia?

Customer:

whats that?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

short sightedness

Customer:

yes. i am & my mom. lots of glasses in the family.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That could explain a lot of things then.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

a remote possibility of your son having short sightedness.

Customer:

is that good then. i'm fine with him just needing glasses or something when he's bigger.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

no thats all.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello Jennifer,

Since you have not yet rated the answer I was wondering if you had anything else to ask or whether the answer was satisfactory or not. Do let me know if you found the answer helpful.

Thank you and regards
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince