Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am suffering from epiphoria. I had a bad allergy season

I am suffering from epiphoria. I had a bad allergy season here in San Francisco. I have seen my opthomalogist four times since September. The first visit was a "wait and see". The second visit was an dilation and irrigation of my puncta. There was no blockage yet the epiphoria was worse the following week. Eventually both eyes became infected. Third visit my doctor prescribed Vigamox. The swelling, itching and redness decreased but my eyes were still watering. I have gone through a plethora of tissues. Fourth visit I scheduled for more dilation and irrigation in both eyes. The doctor didn't think it was necessary. Two months later, and three days before my wedding my eyes are constantly moist. I have ceased wiping my eyes, trying to blink the tears out of my eyes but I cannot do this on my wedding day. Throughout this process I have been using Refresh Tears about six times a day. I have also been using warm compresses morning and night. I even started lid massage. I want to switch doctors but I am in between jobs and in between insurances. I have a history of this and it usually resolves on it's own, but after a couple of dilations and irrigations. I think my doc is sick of seeing me in his office and he did not offer to do that the last visit. Do you have any suggestions other that what I have been doing?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Hello, yes, I am!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As the syringing ( irrigation) test has shown patency of the lacrimal drainage ducts it looks like the watering is more so due to a functional block in the ducts or due to active secretion of excessive tears due to an eye allergy.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have recurrent bouts of nasal block/common cold ?

Customer:

I used to-not so much anymore.

Customer:

Right now things (my nose...LOL) is pretty clear.

Customer:

But my eyes do still itch-I use Zatador for that.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Looks like there is functional block either.. But the itching sensation along with watering of eyes suggests that there could be an eye allergy still going on and not responding to Zaditor alone.

Customer:

I have ceased using make-up and have put nothing on my eyes except cortisone (1%) to reduce swelling per MD instruction. That was last week, though. This week no make-up.

Customer:

I also use Zyrtec.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Pataday ( olopatadine) eye drops are more effective than Zaditor and can be used as 1 drop, twice a day for 2-3 weeks.

Customer:

Is that over the counter?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Zyrtec will definitely help to reduce the allergic symptoms.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, Pataday is a prescription medicine.

Customer:

OK, I will call the MD tomorrow and see if he will prescribe that. I think you are right about the allergies. They have been pretty bad this year for me mainly manifesting in my eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That would be a good idea.

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Desai! I really do appreciate your input-wedding in two days. I want tears of joy, not allergy tears!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I wish you a very happy wedding and have a great day with no tears of allergy!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Best wishes

Customer:

Thank you! Best wishes to you as well!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist