Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

A friend of ours in Bali was hit in the eye with a tennis ball

Customer Question

A friend of ours in Bali was hit in the eye with a tennis ball on Friday afternoon. He is currently in hospital awaiting scans. Could you please recommend the best opthalmologist available as we are extremely worried he may lose his sight. The only information we have at this stage is that there was bleeding behind the eye and there is a watery substance continuing to leak from the eye and we understand that the lens may be broken.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your friend has sustained a very serious eye injury that will require immediate treatment by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

I would expect that the hospital has an ophthalmologist on staff who will be attending him. From what you have posted it does not seem wise to delay treatment to find "the best" eye surgeon; the one available at the hospital will need to close the eye and, if necessary, remove the lens fragments.

Dr. Rick :

If you can give me more information on the exact nature of his injuries I will be happy to go over treatment options in detail.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We understand and are extremely worried about the delay. They have decided to move him to the international hospital tomorrow & do a scan. Our issue is that we would like the best treatment for him but don't know any of the doctors there. We are willing to engage a top specialist & are wonderingb if you or any of your coleagues would be able to recommend such a specialist in Bali? We would be so grateful
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I am a retina surgeon and am usually consulted on cases like your friend. Unfortunately, I am on the other side of the planet from you :(

What is the name and location of the hospital you are taking your friend to and I will be happy to see what eye specialists are available there and recommend one of them.

How long was your friends injury and what treatment has he received so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently it is the International hospital (not ISOS nor ICB) , it is the only one that has the necessary scanner. Sorry I cannot be more specific but was only given that information. The accident happened Friday afternoon ( we are now Sunday here). It was a ball that was hit off a tennis racket so must have hit hard. So far we believe they have put drops in the eye but from what we understand it is still leaking. He is in pain & his good eye is not clear either, although he says he can see a little better out of the good eye today. Again, we would be so grateful if you could find out the name of someone skilled.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I am in the USA and not familiar with your part of the world....can you give me specific information on the name of the city and country you are going to take your friend to?

Also, from what you have posted I do would not think that any type of scan is needed.....just an complete examination by an eye surgeon.

I look forward to your response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, have not explained properly to you, we are in Austealia, our friend is is in Denpasar, Bali in a local hospital there. We are desperate to get him proper care and do not understand the delay nor need for as scan either. They have told him they will transport him to the International hospital (also in Denpasar in Bali) for the scan. We are urgently looking to see if we can be referred to a specialist in Bali who is skilled in eye/retinal issues who can give him the expert care he needs. At this stage we are not confident in the local personnel & are hoping if buy some chance someone would know of a colleague we could be referred to in Bali.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Let me see what I can find out for you. I'll be right back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. We wil wait for your reply.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
There is not a lot to choose from in Bali but Dr. Cokorda in Denpasar has a number of excellent recommendations.

This doctor can be contacted through Surya Hospital:

http://www.suryahusadha.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=13:dewiyani&catid=27:ophtalmologists

Phone number: +62 -361-233787

Your friend should probably come to Australia for definitive care once his eye is stabilized.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Please give my very best to your friend. Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We really appreciate the trouble you have gone to for the information. Just 2 final questions - knowing that you don't have a crystal ball, but is it possible that he will have permanent damage or loss if sight in that eye and secondly, is it ok for him to fly considering the air pressure in the plane?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
If he has something like inflammation (uveitis) and minor bleeding (hyphema) in his eye he should not have permanent loss of vision.

But, if it is as you have said and his lens is broken (and has gone untreated since Friday), he has bleeding in the back of his eye (vitreous hemorrhage) and his eye is leaking (open globe) then I would have to honestly say he is in deep trouble as far as his eye is concerned.

Once his eye is closed, and as long as his treatment doesn't involve the placement of a gas bubble in his eye (this would be done by a retina surgeon) than he is safe to fly.

It sounds to me that the sooner he gets treatment from an eye surgeon (Ophthalmologist) the better he is going to be. If this requires that he fly out of the country, so be it.

He is fortunate to have good friends like you :-)

Let me know if you have any further questions.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot tell you how helpful you have been. Would never have imagined receiving such excellent assistance in this way. Our wish for you, shall you never need it, would be that you find someone as helpful as you should you ever require it. Thank you so much once again :)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
You are very kind. Thank you.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell,

I was just thinking about your friend and wondering how his eye is doing. Was Dr. Cokorda able to help him? Hopefully he is doing better and is on his way home where he can receive more definitive treatment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for asking. We did get in touch with the hospital, but the doctor did not speak English. We were however put on to an English speaking nurse on another floor, who agreed to try to forward us the results once the scan was done. As it happens, he was released from hospital the next day (last Tuesday night), as the scan showed no retinal damage, bleeding was dissipating, the lens was a little "dirty" and had moved a little, but some of his vision was returning. They have given him 3 different types of eye drops and some tablets to take and asked him to go back for a check up next Tuesday. If the lens is still 'dirty", they have propsed a small operation to clean it. The eye was still discharging last night so we asked him to call today just to check if this was normal for the eye at this stage. He has promised to let us know as soon as he speaks with the dr., depending on whether he can catch him today or tomorrow. At this stage it seems to be a better result than we thought it would be, we are just hoping that it will be a full recovery.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Russel,

I am glad to hear that your friend is improving and his vision is returning. I hope he has a full recovery.

I would be happy to review the scan results for you if you would like.

Please give my best to your friend next time to speak with him.