Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I keep getting what I refer to as visual episodes. They last

I keep getting what I refer to as visual episodes. They last about 15-20 minutes and I can't associate any particular trigger for them. They start as a small area of what I describe as black and white pulsing patterns on the right side center of my vision. As the episode progresses the pattern gets larger and arc shaped (like the letter C drawn backwards). I can alternately close one eye but the pattern and position don't change. The episode ends as the arc shaped pulsing pattern grows off the periphery of my vision. Sometimes it feels like there's something in my right eye, but there never is anything there. I'm concerned that this is a symptom of some thing more serious in the visual area of my brain as it doesn't really seem to be associated with my eyes themselves.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your symptoms are quite typical of a scintillating scotoma in case of ocular migraine.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The very fact that these episodes last only for 15-20 minutes shows that they are not due to anything serious or concerned with the visual centres in the brain.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Migraine episodes last typically for half to one hour at the most.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In ocular migraine the visual symptoms are more prominent and headache may or maynot be associated with it.

Customer:

I have no pain associated with these

Is there anything I can do to prevent/redusce their occurance?

Customer:

Is there a dietary link with these?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though the exact cause for these episodes are not known , there has been an assumption about a link between these and an intake of MSG(monosodium glutamate). Since you do not have any triggering factors prevention could be difficult .

Customer:

I don't believe I have a high intake level of MSG is there anything else I might be able to add to my diet as a preventative?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Unfortunately there is no role for any particular food which can help in prevention of these episodes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you do not have headache, there is no role for analgesics either.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Preventive medicines are available for those who suffer from migraine headaches( propranolol or Flunarizine).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Here is a small article on scintillating scotoma( with a list of most common triggering factors)-

Dr. A.S. Desai :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

Customer:

Is there anything that may be inferred with the frequency of the episodes. While the duration of the episode seems constant the frequency has increased lately

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you could go through the above link and look for any particular triggering factor which is appilcable in your case, it would be very helpful.

Customer:

Thank you for your assistance

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It could be emotional or physical stress/noise/food/caffiene.