Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

eye extremely red since Sun.-- reg. eye dr. prescribed Zylet

eye extremely red since Sun.-- reg. eye dr. prescribed Zylet on Mon.--not much improvement so yesterday prescribed oral antibiotic--no noticable improvement as of this am--sharp stabbing pain behind occipital (?)bone @ outside edge of eye when looking down at close range. How long do I give meds to take effect before moving on to another dr/hospital?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is your eye doctor an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?

Are both eyes affected?

Is your vision affected?

There is no previous transmission to review for details.....

Dr. Rick :

Any swelling of your eyelids?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Customer:

optometrist--only left eye--vision seems fine--no swelling but upper lid drooping slightly--take meds for blood pressure, thyroid, currently being treated for stomach ulcer with generic Prevacid

Dr. Rick :

Ok. oral antibiotics are not usually used for a red eye. And it sounds like your optometrist is kinda just throwing antibiotics and steroids at in hopes things will get better without really figuring out what is going on.

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible for you to upload a picture of your eye?

Also, is it your eyeball that is red or is your slightly droopy eyelid also involved in this process?

Customer:

after close exam she admits can't see where problem is...yes,typing (SLOWLY) cause I'm old y'know =D

no picture capabilities..barely doing this! the whole thing is red...

Dr. Rick :

Dark/bright red, like a piece of meat?

Customer:

gotta go look...hang on for a minute..

Dr. Rick :

ok.......

Customer:

guess you could say piece of meat...more than merely bloodshot

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I know what is going on......also, time to get a better optometrist.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have experienced a sub conjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

Why are you having the sharp stabbing pain? Most likely an anterior segment/dry eye issue. I would stop all the antibiotic drops and oral pills and use cold compresses and artificial tears.

For your next eye visit consult with an ophthalmologist (eye MD) :-)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

I understand what you are referring to...have seen before in others.. looks kinda like a blood clot in the white of the eye? wish I could send picture...my eye doesn't look like that..would describe as extremely

bloodshot..feels very irritated too & tears constantly

Dr. Rick :

Hmmmm.....ok. You are correct....in ophthalmology a picture, truly, is worth a thousand words.....

It is possible that you have episcleritis or scleritis. This is an inflammation of the tissues that surround the eyeball or of the wall of the eyeball itself.

I think at this point, without a picture, I would have to say that your need to try to get into see an ophthalmologist. While I do not think, from what you have posted, that this is an ocular emergency, I would feel better if you could be evaluated today or tomorrow....for sure before the weekend gets here.

Whatever this turns out to be it seems that it is beyond the pay grade of your optometrist, although I am sure she is doing her best.

Customer:

You've been very kind/patient..thanx! That's pretty much the answer I was looking for...will take your advice and try to find a local ophthalmoligist to see me soon...thanks again, Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure and I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Marilyn,

I was just thinking about your eye and wondering what the ophthalmologist found out. I hope you are feeling much better by now.