Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Yesterday, I noticed a red bump on the inside of my lower eyelid.

Customer Question

Yesterday, I noticed a red bump on the inside of my lower eyelid. This morning, the bump appears similar to a canker sore inside the mouth perhaps 1/8" round in size. It is painful but not excruciating. My funds are very limited - will this go away without medical treatment or might I find something over the counter that may help?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you able to chat?
JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

Yes, I am

Doctor DanB :

Is there any way you can take a picture of it and attach it to a post?

JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

Sure, may I have a few moments to try?

Doctor DanB :

you bet

JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

I have the picture, now I will attempt to attach it to this post

Doctor DanB :

Any luck? there should be a little green icon near your chat window that when your cursor hovers over, should say "Insert/Edit image"

JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

Yes, I found the icon - attempting to insert the image - an orange box appears asking to upload the image. Once I select the image and click "ok" nothing happens? Any suggestions?

Doctor DanB :

Hmmm....I wish I had more suggestions than that. Unfortunately, I'm not privy to the inner technical workiings of the website. I log on remotely like you do. Let me see if I can find a picture that might look like what you are seeing. Hang on for a minute or so, please.

JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

I think I may have uploaded the picture for you - it appears so on my side of this chat

JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

Can you view the image?

Doctor DanB :

No, I can't. I'm sorry--I just don't see it. Did you see the two images I uploaded? Does your bump look like either of those?

JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

I have not received images from you either - this is a bit frustrating. I hope this is not trying your patience!

Doctor DanB :

Oh, I've been on this site for a few years now and have developed a patient attitude. Sorry to you too as well. Let me try this again to see if you can see them.

Doctor DanB :

Do you see those?

JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

No sir

Doctor DanB :

Ugh. Sorry about this. Well, let me tell you what I think is going on then and we'll go from there...

JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

Thank you

Doctor DanB :

I think that this is likely a stye, also called an internal hordeolum. A stye is a blocked oil gland in the eyelid that causes a swollen and sometimes focal, tender bump on the eyelid. When the opening of the gland is obstructed the oil spills out into the inside tissues of the eyelid which incites an immune reaction, causing the swelling, redness and tenderness, but these only rarely become secondarily infected and therefore usually don't respond to antibiotics. The definitive treatment for these is to use intensive hot compresses. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. This should be done 4x/day and doing this daily, it can take up to 3 weeks of this intensive regimen for them to resolve, but most will resolve within this time. The ones that don't resolve after this need to be opened in a minor office procedure by your ophthalmologist. But unfortunately OTC medicines that say they treat styes are essentially ineffective and don't treat the root cause of the stye, which is the blocked oil gland that usually will resolve with the heat and massages. Does that make sense?

JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

Yes, of course it makes sense. As a child I had a few styes on my eyelid. What makes me believe this may be different is that it is not located on the outside of the eyelid, as those I had as a child. This one is located on the inside of my lower eyelid. I must pull down the lower lid to see it. It is not visible without pulling down the eyelid and it also appears much larger than any stye I had as a child.

Doctor DanB :

Okay. I can see how that would make you think this isn't a stye. And certainly, since I can't examine you, I can't say for sure that it is a stye. But I'll tell you that at least half of the styes I see in my clinic everyday are inside, like yours, and quite big, but because they are inside, they don't really show up on the outside much at all.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

JACUSTOMER-092ozvsj- :

No, I do not. Thank you for your time and suggestions

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Doctor DanB :

Is there a reason why you rated me as having given you bad service? I know the website had issues, but I thought I had tried to help you resolve your issues despite that?