Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My wife had a bad reaction (face swelling) to a proactive;

My wife had a bad reaction (face swelling) to a proactive; the emergency room doc gave her 60 mg of predasone on Monday morning (3:30 am). Today her face has additional swelling with her eyes almost closed. She got a prescription filled this morning for predasone 20 mg (2 pills a day). Is there anything else she can do to prevent addtional swelling ?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Please answer my question. Thanks

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I had to talk to my nurse for a second...I'm back

Dr. Rick :

Is she having any problems breathing, swallowing or any evidence of swelling around her mouth etc?

Customer:

No problem with either and no swelling around her mouth.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. The prednisone is going to be the best thing to use for her swelling. There really isnt' much at home or OTC that will help, with the exception of ice to the area.

Dr. Rick :

I don't like the fact that the swelling has come back even after steroids in the ER on Monday......

If the swelling doesn't show some improvement two hours after the prednisone I'd suggest trying to get her in to see the doctor before the office closes today.

Customer:

OK,

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question?

Customer:

We are going to call her doc now for an appointment. Thanks and yes it does answer my question.