Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hello I have a yellowish/white spot on the whites of my

Customer Question

Hello

I have a yellowish/white spot on the whites of my eyes, one is bigger in the right eye than the one in the left. Had it for about 3 years. Vision is not affected. My cholesterol is within normal range. Could you give me an idea as to what it might be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Full Size Image

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does it look similar to this?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, are you there?

Customer : it is very similar to the picture...maybe a little more white
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your description does sound more like that of a pinguecula. A pinguecula is a kind of degeneration of the collagen fibres of the conjunctiva. It is benign in nature.

Customer : can it be reduced in anyway?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

The exact cause of this is not known but it is said to be due to exposure to UV rays from sunlight.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Once formed it cannot be reduced by using eye drops/ taking tablets.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In the meanwhile, lubricating eye drops can be used such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can also wear sunglasses whenever outdoors so as to prevent further exposure of the eye to UV rays of the sunlight.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello Jen,

Do go through the answer and let me know if you found it useful.

Thank you and best wishes.

Hello Jen,

You can go through this article for more information on Pinguecula.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinguecula

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you very much for the information! I was scared that i had something more serious! i havent been to my optician in quite a long time! i will make an appointment to have them checked! My doctor originally thought it was high cholesterol but i doubted that as i exercise everyday and eat healthily! i just didnt know what else it could be if it wasnt cholesterol related! I am naughty with my eyes, i never wear sunglasses...even on sunny holidays!
Thank you for the reply.

The word"pinguis" in latin means fat. But it has nothing to do with cholestrol levels in case of pinguecula. I guess you can try with the suggested lubricating eye drops and wear sunglasses too.

Thank you and best wishes.