pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

does anyone know what type of contact lenses are used for bandage

does anyone know what type of contact lenses are used for bandage contacts for dry eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 1 year ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to assist you with your question today.

pippistrellodaqua :

I often fit contact lenses as bandage lenses. This is rarely done for dry eye, however.

pippistrellodaqua :

I usually use a bandage lens for cases of damage to the front surface of the eye.

pippistrellodaqua :

I usually use a bandage lens called Acuvue Oasys. I have also used Biofinity and Air Optix Night and Day.

pippistrellodaqua :

There is only one lens which is FDA-approved for dry eye, called Proclear. This lens should not be worn as a bandage lens because it cannot be slept in, but it does create somewhat of a re-wetting effect on the eyes, especially those that suffer from dryness.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will be available to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. How about if I have blephitis. Well my doctor released me, basically, abandoned me. My right eye has cornea abrasions due to dry eye. Can a bandage contact work for this?

I would treat the blepharitis with warm compresses and lid scrubs. To do this you can take a washcloth and run it under hot water. With you closed eyes rub gently at the base of the lashes and apply the heat to the lids. Repeat several times daily. Most contact lenses can be worn in cases of controlled blepharitis. Blepharitis and dry eye often go together. Proclear may be your best option again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i been doing compresses and lid scrub for almost a year. seems my vision is effected by dry eye too, is it true that proclear also helps with higher order abberations. will the one a days work best since i have blephitis. do you also know if their is a place i can try them out to see the comfort with no prescription.

The Proclear lenses do come in daily disposable lenses, which could be your best bet. Most optometrists will allow you to trial your lenses before finalizing a prescription. Usually you'll just pay for a contact lens fitting fee ($20-50 or so) which includes your first pair of lenses and a follow-up visit to make sure they are working correctly. There is only one soft lens which specifically corrects for higher order aberrations (Purevision 2 by B&L) which in my experience tends to dry out quite often. One other thought would be to treat the dry eye and even the blepharitis with a prescription med called Restasis. It may be used with contact lens users and is something I would consider. I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to contact me again and please consider leaving a positive rating. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I never knew that Restasis treats blepharitis.

Does it treat melborian gland disfunction?

Restasis treats inflammation of the front surface of the eye. It is FDA-approved for dry eye disease in particular, but again, dry eye and blepharitis often go hand-in-hand and Restasis works effectively for my patients who suffer from inflammation. Meibomian gland dysfunction is a cause for blepharitis and also is involved with dry eye disease. It causes specifically a decrease in the oily component of the tear film. Some researchers are trying to tease out the subtle differences between MGD, dry eye, and blepharitis, but will agree that while the cause of inflammation in each of these conditions is slightly different the inflammation can be treated the same way. In my practice Restasis is the next step for many patients, followed by more aggressive treatments if needed. These aggressive treatments include punctal plugs, oral antibiotics, short term steroid drops, and even hard contact lenses. Again, for you I would consider Restasis and, if contact lens wear is indicated, Proclear 1-Day lenses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, do you know of any specialists in Texas that can diagnose 100% of what is causing my dry eyes?

I don't know of any doctors by name in Texas. I recommend you start at a university hospital. They will have the best doctors in the area who should be able to diagnose and treat your condition effectively.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if my dry eyes is happening because of evaporative from the eye lids, but i have plenty of tears, can one of those bandage contact help, or maybe just to sleep in

I would use a punctal plug for evaporative dry eye instead of a bandage contact lens. This blocks the drainage system of the tears so that what tears remain stay on the eye.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is there a way we can purchase them without a doctor and take them to a doctor to put them in?

No, only your doctor can provide them.
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience: Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks for your help.