Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

the outer corner of my right eye has been red for 5 days, what

Customer Question

the outer corner of my right eye has been red for 5 days, what should i do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How did you first notice the redness?

Is there any pain or discharge?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : How did you first notice the redness?

Is there any pain or discharge?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Are you there?

Were you able to see what I typed?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
My screen shows you are online and that you have reviewed the things I have typed.

I am happy to answer your question but, since many things can cause redness of the eyes I would like more information so I give you a focused answer.

I await your reply......
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me answer your question to the best of my ability with the information you have provided.....

You have experienced a sub conjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.
In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick