Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive noticed a blurry spot in my right eye, its especially

I've noticed a blurry spot in my right eye, its especially pronounced when I cover my left eye. The field of vision in my right eye looks like it converges to a point (kind of like a rectangle being squished from the top and bottom - bow tie effect). I have astigmatism and wear progressives, for distance as well. What could be the cause?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

How old are you?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Customer:

48 years old. No medical problems or medication.

Dr. Rick :

Please go to this website,, follow the instructions there, and check the central vision in your eyes, one eye at a time:

http://www.vision-and-eye-health.com/amsler-grid.html

Dr. Rick :

and tell me what you find.....

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : How old are you?

Customer: 48 years old. No medical problems or medication.
Dr. Rick : Please go to this website,, follow the instructions there, and check the central vision in your eyes, one eye at a time:

Dr. Rick : and tell me what you find.....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

did you get my response?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Could you see what I have typed? Let me retype it here for you:

Dr. Rick : How old are you?

Customer: 48 years old. No medical problems or medication.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
If you can ready this, please reply now by saying:

"Yes. I can read what you have said just now"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I can read what you have said just now.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Whew! OK. At last we are now talking to each other.

Sorry about the technical problems.

Did you have a chance to check your vision at the web page I sent?

Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I checked it. My left eye is fine. With my right eye, I can see the entire grid, but with the boxes I'm focused directly on, the lines on top and bottom appear squiggly.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. That tells me that you have something going on with your central vision, which is what I thought from what you had posted.

I would venture to say that your retina, specifically a very important part of your retina called the macula, has some swelling, bleeding or other problem going on.

What could be causing this? As a retina surgeon I could give you a long differential diagnosis list but, in truth, this is not the information you need right now. You need to know what to do.

And what you need to do is be examined by an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) ASAP. Do you need to see a retina specialist now? No. At this point a general ophthalmologist should be able to take care of things.

I see you are in Canada and I know getting in to see a specialist can be hard to do. While I do not think this is an emergency I would be uncomfortable with more then a delay of a day or so.

Try not to allow them to have a GP see what he can do first, or make you wait weeks to be seen by an eye surgeon.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Do you know what can cause this?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
It is hard to say for sure without examining your eye but it could by something called central serous chorioretinopathy, leaking blood vessels from many, many causes, inflammation, tumors...the list is long and branching.

I hope everything turns out OK.

But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. You should probably know that I have experienced the flying black specs recently. They did go away. And, I've been under a lot of stress.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Stress can contribute to some conditions but I would not rush to blame this on stress.

Don't let the medical system put you off....get in to see an ophthalmologist as soon as you can.

Remember....I work for tips :-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

I found myself thinking about you today and wondering what the ophthalmologist found. I hope everything is going to be OK