Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been having a corneal ulcer in my right eye ever since

I have been having a corneal ulcer in my right eye ever since I was a todler, and my vision is blurred.This has also affected my self confidence somewhat. I want to know if this can be removed and the vision restored, and roughly the cost involved. You could also supply a list of doctors around Joburg/Gauteng.

kind regards

Medias

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

depending on the depth an severity of your corneal ulcer there are a number of treatments available.

Dr. Rick :

If the scar is very superficial, it can possibly be treated with a superficial keratectomy.

Also, a laser (phototherapeutic keratectomy) can be used to remove the scar.

Dr. Rick :

If your scar is too large/deep for these therapies then a full thickness corneal transplant can be done. (PK)

Dr. Rick :

Of course, any other ocular conditions, such as amblyopia (since you have had this since you were a very young child), cataract, retina problems etc, would not be improved by any of these therapies.

Dr. Rick :

These treatments are done by an ophthalmologist, usually one trained as a cornea/external disease sub specialist. While I was not able to find a cornea specialist in your area using my sources, I did located a very well trained ophthalmologist:

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Kgaogelo LegodiOphthalmology
Address: Medforum Medi-Clinic
PO Box 7055
Johannesburg
2000
South Africa
Tel: + 27 12(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
Specialism: Ophthalmology
Qualifications: MBChB, FCS
Dr. Rick :

He should be able to help you and, if necessary, refer you to a cornea specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanx for the reply, roughly what is the cost for
those treatments you have highlighted? I do think I might have retina issue as well ! Also the phone number of the Doctor you have given me is not appearing on the screen it is hidden on the right side of the screen.

The cost varies from place to place. I am in the USA so I'm not sure what it would cost in South Africa. But, for example, a corneal transplant would cost about $5,000 USD if you were to pay yourself here.

Tel: + 27 12(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Specialism: Ophthalmology

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick