Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Swollen Eye..

Customer Question

I woke up this morning and the bottom outer corner of my right eye was swollen. It doesn't hurt. Itches a tiny bit randomly but goes away quickly. It's really swollen..what could it be?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Is the swelling boggy, as if it is full of fluid, or is it more dense and hard?
JACUSTOMER-mukbprpw- :

Describe boggy?

Doctor DanB : Squishy
JACUSTOMER-mukbprpw- :

The swelling lines my eye and it feels squishy until I touch the outer part I feel a hard lump there.

Doctor DanB : This sounds like a stye. A stye is a blocked oil gland in the eyelid that causes a swollen and sometimes focal, tender bump on the eyelid.  When the opening of the gland is obstructed the oil spills out into the inside tissues of the eyelid which incites an immune reaction, causing the swelling, redness and tenderness, but these only rarely become secondarily infected and therefore usually don't respond to antibiotics.  The definitive treatment for these is to use intensive hot compresses. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. This should be done 4x/day and doing this daily, it can take up to 3 weeks of this intensive regimen for them to resolve, but most will resolve within this time.  The ones that don't resolve after this need to be opened in a minor office procedure by your ophthalmologist.  But unfortunately OTC medicines that say they treat styes are essentially ineffective and don't treat the root cause of the stye, which is the blocked oil gland that usually will resolve with the heat and massages.  Does this make sense?
JACUSTOMER-mukbprpw- :

But..Isn't it to low down to be a sty? It's not on my lower eye lid per say its like below the eye a bit

JACUSTOMER-mukbprpw- :

And it doesn't hurt or anything. Just feels heavy

Doctor DanB : If its not on the eyelid, then you're right--it's likely not a stye. If its. It on the eyelid, this may be the beginning of a skin infection.
JACUSTOMER-mukbprpw- :

Skin infections don't hurt or anything?

Doctor DanB : They don't necessarily but as they worsen they usually do start to become tender. Can you take a picture of this and attach it to your next post?
JACUSTOMER-mukbprpw- :

Full Size Image

Doctor DanB : This does look like its likely an infection setting in. I would recommend going to see your doctor to have this evaluated for treatment.
JACUSTOMER-mukbprpw- :

Just for reassurance.. Are there treatments?

Doctor DanB : Yes, antibiotics are likely going to be what you need Nd usually will help this resolve.
JACUSTOMER-mukbprpw- :

Thank you so much!

Doctor DanB : You bet. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!