pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

I took Opcon-A drops in one eye almost four hours ago for itchy

I took Opcon-A drops in one eye almost four hours ago for itchy eye. It cause my pupil to dilate and it is still dilated.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to assist you tonight. This is completely normal for your eyes to dilate somewhat when using this type of drop.

pippistrellodaqua :

One of the components in Opcon-A is naphazoline, which is a sympathomimetic agent that does indeed dilate the eyes. This will go away soon. A much much better drop for itchy eyes is Zaditor or Alaway, which are obtained over-the-counter.

pippistrellodaqua :

Zaditor or Alaway will work so much better without the dilation effect.

pippistrellodaqua :

Welcome to the chat.

Customer:

But is it normal for it to last so long? I have taken these drops before without the effect lasting for hours.

pippistrellodaqua :

It all depends on dosing. Sometimes these drops come out in a much larger drop than usual. This can lead to a longer dilation time. Also if it is near the end of the bottle the medication can sometimes settle on the bottom of the bottle which will concentrate the drop leading to a much larger effect.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will be available to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

Customer:

I see. So, by when should I expect the dilation to go away?

pippistrellodaqua :

Dilation drops can range from about 2 hours of dilation to nearly a week. This is a more mild drop and even in a strong concentration shouldn't last more than 24 hours. If you still note a strong dilation in the morning I would consider obtaining an eye exam. I suspect, however, that things will be back to normal soon.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks.