Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I had lasik 6/19/12 for +2.0 in one eye, and +5.5 in my other.

I had lasik 6/19/12 for +2.0 in one eye, and +5.5 in my other. The MD used an Alegretto machine. He said I would need a second lasik procedure for optimal results. Post op I could see well for distance for about three weeks,and do some reading with otc 1.5 reading glasses. Then my vision became blurry, I started to lose clarity in my reading vision, and needed +3.0 otc readers. Then one morning I woke up with a corneal abrasion which has recurred twice. I am working on resolving dry eye with restasis, and the absolute worst part is, I've been having debilitating headaches which have caused me to quit my job! I revisited this Dr. and he told me my eyes have not healed as he expected, and are not working together. (He had also done some monovision with initial tx) he wanted to "redo" the lasik, but I told him I was not ready to incur anymore pain for now. I asked and received a prescription for progressive eyeglasses. Will the glasses correct my refractive error enough to prevent future headaches? I'm afraid to read for more than 40 min at a time d/t possibly getting another HA. Though I know, only time will tell what my eyes can actually handle in terms of reading. Also, whats to prevent my eyes from healing "incorrectly" if I do agree to a second procedure? The weird part, that scares me a little, is when I saw him he wanted to reschedule my second lasik for the next day Tuesday . . . and each day he told me he got different numbers, and the axis changed by 45 degrees! He attributed it to a build up from using celluvisc eye gtts every hour. What if he had acted on his first measurements and done the lasik, when in fact my eyes would not have been stable? I know I have about three questions embedded here. Thank you in advance for your kind attention.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

If your headaches are from your refractive error then, yes, the eyeglasses should help to prevent them.

Dr. Rick :

Your eyes will heal....there is no correct or incorrect way for them to do this...they just heal.

There is no need to rush into a second lasik surgery. If you are not comfortable with this doctor I would obtain your records and seek a second opinion from another lasik surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

If he would have acted when your eye was not stable and your axis was changing by such a large amount it would have been very, very bad........glad it wasn't done

Dr. Rick :

I think you should delay any further lasik surgery until your eye is more stable and, maybe, consider seeing another lasik doctor for a second opinion on your options at this point.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

So, you are saying one's eyes "just heal". Isn't there a "goal" result? Isn't that the whole objective of going to a professional with state of the art Alegretto? My end result this time was refractive error instead of improvement minimizing the need for glasses. So . . . . I am not sure what you are saying when you say my eyes will just heal. Please clarify.

Dr. Rick :

What I mean to say is that the eyes heal after surgery just like they would from any injury. This healing can be moderated with the use of steroid drops etc, but there is no correct or any incorrect way to heal....there is just healing.

It doesn't matter if I use my an old laser or the Alegretto to make the wound...healing is healing.

That is what I meant to say.

Customer:

PS Thank you for your thoughtful answers regarding delaying second lasik, and taking records to another MD. I concur. Smile.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure :-)

Is there anything else I can answer for you tonight?

Customer:

So . . . . the healing process should not interfere with the end result in terms of refraction if the measurements are accurate? There must be some variables?

Customer:

for example could the RCE result in a less than optimal refraction?

Dr. Rick :

There are variables in the healing. Scars can form, especially from RCE, that can affect the refractive outcome. That is why followup is important, especially in complicated cases such as yours.

Customer:

Also, will I need to see a lasik specialist whenever I require eyeglass prescriptions? In terms of ?

getting both eyes to work together. . . . or will any opthomologist be okay

Dr. Rick :

Any ophthalmologist or optometrist will be ok. No need to see a lasik doctor for glasses

Customer:

Is it dangerous to get a second surgery with a RCE ? Just in terms of visual outcome?

Customer:

It is on my dominant eye

Dr. Rick :

Actually, PRK would be better then LASIK. It would probably cure your RCE at the same time as your refractive procedure.

Customer:

interesting . . . he wanted to put a bandage contact lens on it, and remove after surgery

Thank you . . . gotta go

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.