Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I woke up this morning and one of my eyes is very puffy and

I woke up this morning and one of my eyes is very puffy and swollen. It almost looks like I have been bitten by a bug but it is not itchy. It does not hurt. It just feels very heavy. I used some retin A cream last night but did not put it near my eyes. I have been also sick with a sore throat and a cough. What should I do? Is this serious?

Welcome to Pearl.com

It is likely to be due to angioneurotic edema. It could have occured due to some kind of an allergen( it could be anything- insect or ant bite/ the cream you had used/ any allergen in the air such as pollen/dust). It should subside within a week to 10days time.
You can take Tab.Zyrtec( cetrizine) 10mg, 1 tablet at bedtime, for 1 week. Usually this treatment is enough for allergic angioneurotic edema.

In case you develop other symptoms along with the swollen eye such as difficulty in breathing or suffocation sensation, it is more of an emergency which requires immediate attention. In absence of these symptoms you can continue with the anti-histaminic (zyrtec) for a week.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist