Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, My husband started out with an ear infection he was given

Customer Question

My husband started out with an ear infection he was given antibiotic for his ear. He felt fine went for his follow up. He was told he has water in his mid ear. Then Dr. said he needs to have a tube put in his ear to drain the liquid along with antibiotic & eye drops it was done.

Then it became infected, so the Dr, remove the tube & did not put another tube & gave him some more antibiotic & eye drops done. Feeling good my husband went back for his follow up.

My husband ear was better again & thought it was all over. The Dr. order a cat scan of his ear & sad it show he still has water in his ear. Dr. told my husband he needs to put another tube in again.

Is there an end to this issue of water being in the ear ? My husband is 63 yrs & He cant hear because all the years he work at the steel mill, cost him to lose his hearing.

He's deaf in one ear & 1/2 in the other. What is the drawback of leaving the water in the ear? How serious is this? In 16 yrs he only had two ear infection. Please answer my ?? Is there an end to the tube inserted? Could of it been fix the first or second time he had this done?

He reluctant to have it done again? Please advise us what to do? Or what to ask the Dr.
Kindly
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I'm sorry to hear about all the problems your husband is having.

I'm sure that there is an end to all the fluid inside his middle ear, but that point doesn't seem to have been reached yet.

Dr. Rick :

Leaving the fluid in his ear can cause damage to the delicate bones necessary for hearing as well as leading to scar formation and fibrosis.

Placing another tube to allow the fluid to drain is a good idea and should, in time, allow things to resolve.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your husband is getting excellent care. I would trust this doctor and follow her advice.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I'm sorry to hear about all the problems your husband is having.

Dr. Rick : Leaving the fluid in his ear can cause damage to the delicate bones necessary for hearing as well as leading to scar formation and fibrosis.

Dr. Rick : It sounds like your husband is getting excellent care. I would trust this doctor and follow her advice.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.