Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Can kerititis due to dry eyes (sicca syndrome) damage close

Can kerititis due to dry eyes (sicca syndrome) damage close up vision and leave distance vision unchanged. Was told I had no permanent scarring to corneas

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

No. Keratitis sicca would not be expected to damage your close vision while at the same time leaving your distance vision unaffected.

Dr. Rick :

The changes in your near vision are most likely caused by a condition called presbyopia. This is something that affects every single human if they live long enough. I, personally, was affected at age 43.

Dr. Rick :

As you have stated, presbyopia can easily be corrected with glasses for near vision tasks even in patients with Keratitis sicca such as yourself.

Dr. Rick :

There is no need to worry, from what you have posted, that your cornea has been damaged.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : No. Keratitis sicca would not be expected to damage your close vision while at the same time leaving your distance vision unaffected.
Dr. Rick : The changes in your near vision are most likely caused by a condition called presbyopia. This is something that affects every single human if they live long enough. I, personally, was affected at age 43.
Dr. Rick : As you have stated, presbyopia can easily be corrected with glasses for near vision tasks even in patients with Keratitis sicca such as yourself.

Dr. Rick : There is no need to worry, from what you have posted, that your cornea has been damaged.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I realize everyone needs glasses for close up as they age. That is not my question. I wanted to know if kerititis can make your close up vision have a huge long term change because of having had it. Vision was stable for years the had kerititis and close up vision had big change afterwards
That is a very good question. While severe keratitis and corneal scaring (which you said you do not have) can cause changes in your vision, need for new glasses etc, it would not cause changes JUST to your near vision while leaving your distance vision untouched.

Also, in order for your keratitis to change you close up vision there would be obvious damage visible on your cornea....once again not what you have per your post.

So. What is the easy, short answer to your question? No. Your recent huge change in close up vision was not caused by your keratitis.

Sorry about the earlier misunderstanding :)

Have a good weekend.

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)