Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i have retinal pigment epithilitis and now been diagnosed with

Customer Question

i have retinal pigment epithilitis and now been diagnosed with diabetic reinopathy, are they linked and what outcome can i expect. my eyes seem to bow everything out and am worried now as i have an acoustic neuroma in my ear (which is being monitored) and am frightened as i am having balance training at the hospital to help keep me steady, but if my eyes get worse, what will i do. It is proving a problem at work, as i am a cleaner, and constantly moving fast and cant rely on my balance any more. can you help xx
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted it sounds like you have some diabetic macular edema in addition to your diabetic retinopathy.

Are you being treated by an ophthalmologist? What has she suggested?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : From what you have posted it sounds like you have some diabetic macular edema in addition to your diabetic retinopathy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the opthlamologist said there was no treatment for rpe and signed me off. will the background retinopathy hinder the rpe. the tumor causes me balance problems and i have having balance training at the hospital but my balance is really relying on my eyes. shall i go back to drs. or is the retinopathy not really a problem. thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I am a retina surgeon and can tell you that retinal pigment epitheliitis is a specific form of multifocal chroidopathy that is seen in young adults. It is a very rare condition.

Were you examined by a retina surgeon? If not, I would consider consulting with one to make sure that nothing else is going on with your macula that could be treated.

So. In answer to your problem, yes, I would have another doctor take a look at your eyes.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, just an update, saw specialist yesterday, epithilitis still going strong. he thinks retinopathy may have been misdiagnosed! every thing ive researched anout epithilitis says this will correct itself but ive had it over two years now.

thought you might be interested at the outcome.

kind regards xxx

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle,

It is good to hear from you. Thanks for the update.

Yes. Since retinal pigment epthelitis is a rare condition it is common for non-retina specialists (and even retina docs now and again :( to get the diagnosis wrong.

As you have already learned, the good news is that, in my experience, patients with this condition do well in the long run.

Here is a brief article from the National Institute of Health that you might find interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3684229

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Have a Healthy and Happy Holiday Season.