Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

What can be some of the causes of optic nerve damage. I recently

Customer Question

What can be some of the causes of optic nerve damage. I recently went to the opthomologist who said I had a significant amount of damage to the optic nerve in my right eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Pearl.com

There are various ways in which the optic nerve can be damaged. Some are congenital( present since birth) while some are acquired ( occur after birth). Optic nerve can damaged due to optic nerve atrophy, optic neuropathy following glaucoma, optic neuritis, papilledema.

Optic atrophy is a painless chronic condition in which there is irreversible damage to the optic nerve fibres. The vision reduces gradually and permanently. Causes include glaucoma, optic neuritis/papilledema,ischemic( reduced blood flow),retinal disorders. There is no known treatment for optic atrophy. Low visual aids are recommended for using the remaining vision in the best possible way.

Optic neuritis is sudden in onset and is characterised by sudden loss of vision in one eye. It can occur following various systemic infections, inflammatory conditions of the eye. Treatment is with high dose of steroids.

Papilledema is painless swelling of the optic nerve head due to raised intracranial pressure.

Since you have had an eye exam by an ophthalmologist, I guess he was referring to age related optic atrophy. All other conditions of the optic nerve would have had some predisposing eye disease along with their symptoms. As you have not mentioned any change in vision, I guess the optic nerve fibres are still not damaged to any large extent. It is better to discuss with your ophthalmologist about what exactly is the nature of the optic nerve involvement and its probable cause ( from the above mentioned list of conditions).

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since glaucoma runs in my family I have always had regular checkups for that and the pressure has been borderline but not high enough for drops UNTIL the following:

I had disk fusion surgery (through the front of the neck) almost 2 years ago in which my sympathetic nerve was damaged and as a result I now have horner's syndrome; could the optic nerve damage be connected to this? Should I be concerned about vision problems in the future due to the optic nerve damage?

Hello David,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

All individuals with family history of glaucoma should be checked regularly for glaucoma. It is good that you have hgad regular check ups for the same. But checking for intraocular pressure(IOP) alone would not sufficient. It is better to get the visual field analysis done regularly too. In normal tension glaucoma, the IOP remains within normal limits but the optic nerve damage continues to occur with corresponding visual field defects.

I don't think the horner's syndrome would be connected to the optic nerve damage.

By the time the vision is affected, the dmamage to the optic nerve would have been quite significant. Hence it is better to get a thorough eye exam done every 4-6 months as these changes can be detected quite early in the disease.

Thank you and best wishes.

Hi David,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your follow-up; you answered all my questions; I accepted your answer(s) and you should have gotten credit. Thanks for your response
Hello David,

Thank you for the reply. I am glad that you found the answers satisfactory. Unfortunately I have NOT got credited as You have not yet rated the answer. Only a positive rating ( ok service/good service/excellent service) would give me any credit. Hence I kindly request you to rate the answer favourably.

Thank you and best wishes