Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Customer Question

My husband had cataract surgury in Feb. Why does the light still hurt his eyes so much. He has to keep his eyes closed most of the time or sit in a dark room. His eyes hurt him so bad when he goes out side. Please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Has he been diagnosed with any post -operative complication following cataract surgery such as inflammation of the iris called as iritis/uveitis( characterise by redness,pain, photophobia , reduced vsion ) or corneal problem such as keratitis( similar symptoms as irits)?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the post-op period was uneventful ( none of the above mentioned symptoms) then one has to look for the size of the pupil- a dilated pupil can cause such photophobia( intolerence to bright light). If the pupil too is of normal size and the vision in the operated eye too is fine, then he can try with lubricating eye drops so as to treat any associated dry eyes. But in case he has not had a follow up in the recent past ( after the onset of these symptoms) then it makes sense to get a follow up done by an ophthalmologist. A closer look at the cornea, tear film, iris and pupil will help to detect any likely cause for the photophobia.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In the meanwhile he can use lubricating eye drops such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.He can continue to use the prescription sunglasses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hi Georgia,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,