Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I get headaches 3-4 times a day. This is my second bout within

I get headaches 3-4 times a day. This is my second bout within 12 months. It has been going on for 90 days. One side always, eye to back of head throbbing on the left side. My neck on the left side is swollen, my nose runs and my left eye is very dry all the time but tears when I get the headache. My Dr. has me on Triptans which takes affect anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Nothing else works so I do not take over the counter medication but have used vicadin for the pain but do not have it any more. I am on HRT Testosterone. I have had MRI and AX Rays which were negative. Any other ideas how to resolve or what type of headache I get. Triggers by the way are noise--(TV Restaurant Meetings etc,) sleeping (wake up after hour with headache) 72 year old male. NEver had these before I started HRT.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Having gone through your detailed information, it looks like you have been experiencing symptoms of Cluster headache.

Customer:

YEs my research says the same

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case you must be well aware of its idiopathic nature ( exact cause is not known though various mechanisms have been put forth) and its characteristic symptoms such as one sided severe headache with or without associated symptoms such as running nose/watering of eye/sometimes drooping of lid.

Customer:

It matches Cluster but I do no have to walk around the room and pace. I sit with ice until it subsides. If Coulter will they not at some point go into remission?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Pain is a very subjective symptom and its tolerence can vary from person to person. Probably in your case the intensity is not to the level that you need to pace up and down or there is a possibility that your tolerence level is probably better than others. Nevertheless headache is something which is not only difficult to bear but difficult to treat too. Headache has many causes and can get referred from diseases of surrounding structures such as eyes/nose/sinuses/ear/brain/neck.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you have been evaluated thoroughly ( including MRI and X-rays), the chances of headache being due to cluster headache seems more.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Migraine can also cause such headaches but they are not so repititive ( multiple episodes in the same day).

Customer:

The swelling on the left side of my neck makes me think I have some type of neck injury that is part of the problem. The last time I went through this when it stopped the swelling went away. This time it is back with the headaches. Been toi Chiro and Massage but it does not do much. I suppose it may have to run its course but it sure is debilitating.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I can understand your agony and truly wish you recover soon. You have certainly noted an improtant finding -that of neck injury in the past along with swelling of the neck. Though I cannot be sure in your case but musculo-skeletal injuries can also cause referred pain.

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince