Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

I had an eye infection of some sort (likely a stye) that originally

I had an eye infection of some sort (likely a stye) that originally appeared back in May. It involved a round red swelling of my eyelids and a pus like secretion in the morning. Unlike pinke-eye, however, my eye itself was not irritated, red, or in pain--it was really just the eyelid that experienced changes.

I took anti-bacterial drops which worked for a period of time (my eye cleared up 2 weeks later), but then my other eye became infected and I started another round of drops. Eventually, the symptoms cleared up with the exception of a small, raised bump (2mm in diameter) on the center of the lower eyelid of my left eye (near the lashes). I thought it was a blocked gland, and I tried for some time a hot compress and attempted to remove the "material" through pressure, but it didn't really work. The bump has been around since mid-June, along with some general redness along the eyelash area of my lower eyelid. I'm not sure what to do to help it, since it doesn't really seem to be an infection (isn't getting better or worse like an infection would) and isn't painful. What is it and what can I do to get ride of it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The small lump which has remained now is called a chalazion. A chalazion is a chronic inflammation of the modified sebaceous glands called meibomian glands present in the eyelids.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There are different methods of treating a chalazion. For very small chalazion( which are better felt than seen) only hot/warm compresses should be enough ( but can take anywhere between 2-6 weeks to clear up). For those chalazia which are not big enough to be treated surgically, intralesional triamcinolone injection can be given. The lump begins to disappear within a week. For larger chalazia none of these would work and the best treatment is a minor surgery called incision and curettage.

Customer:

hi - Thanks for your response. I've researched the chalazion condition and reached the same conclusion, so that's good to hear. As for the treatment option your recommended--intralesional triamcinolone--could you explain what they do in the case of that procedure?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A steroid called triamcinolone is loaded in a syringe and using a very fine gauge needle( very thin), it is injected into the lump from the inner side of the eyelid.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Very small amount of it is injected such as 0.3 ml.

Customer:

it sounds like that would make sense if that hot compress doesn't work. For the compress option, is the best way to just use a washcloth dipped in warm water? How often should that be done and for how long? Should I apply pressure or try to drain the bump myself when doing?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, do not apply pressure. Warm compresses can be applied by dipping a washcloth in warm water and continue for 10 minutes for each session. Such warm compresses can be given twice a day.

Customer:

OK, should I see material/pus come out of the glands? Or will it clear internally?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It will clear internally.

Customer:

Got it. I will give this compress thing another shot.. thanks for your help! I think i'm all set.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince