Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have raised yellow patches on my eyes I was told it was

I have raised yellow patches on my eyes I was told it was sun damage and there is nothing I can do to get rid of it is this true?

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Does this yellow patch look like this?

Full Size Image

Doctor DanB :

Most often when there are yellowish/whitish spots on the eyes, they represent a pingueculum (pinguecula is plural). This is what you see in the picture I posted. These are areas of the thin, transparent skin (conjunctiva) which is over the tough, white part of the eye (sclera) that have bunched together and therefore can look raised and change in color. These are usually brought about by UV exposure (sunlight), but sometimes they are just hereditary and people can have them even if they haven't had a significant exposure to UV light over their lifetime.

These spots generally lie at the edge of the white and colored parts of the eyes. Sometimes they can become inflamed and need some anti-inflammatory drops to calm down the inflammation, but for the most part they are generally innocuous. On occasion can flatten out and spread over the cornea and it is then called a pterygium. These are also generally innocuous, but can sometimes be very irritating and can affect the vision either by growing in front of the vision or changing the shape of the eye and therefore the need for glasses. The only way to rid yourself of these is surgery, unfortunately.

Sometimes these yellow spots can be conjunctival cysts, which are just fluid-filled collections that are also usually innocuous; they may get bigger over time, but are also just as likely to decrease in size and go away. Artificial tears are a good thing to take if either of these are bothering you. They are usually not surgically removed unless there are significant symptoms not alleviated by topical medications, because they both have a decent chance of growing back.

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other concerns about this topic that I haven't addressed?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.