Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

hello

hello

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

hello yes

i can chat

Doctor DanB :

First of all, if the two doctors you've been seeing are optometrists, I wouldn't get too excited or worry--while there are many fine eye doctors who are optometrists, these kinds of eye doctors do not have the specific and necessary medical training to be able to diagnose retinal conditions with any degree of reliability and certainty (in most cases). But...

Customer:

ok

Doctor DanB :

by virtue of the fact that one sees it and one doesn't see it, that also means it's quite likely not a very significant finding.

Customer:

im not sure if optometrist is the right word..they do the eyetest at the opticians..

Doctor DanB :

That being said, it's always a good idea to have uncertainty done away with. The best way to do this is to see an ophthalmologist (an M.D., eye surgeon)--they will be able to give you the definitive word. And yes, it's the optometrist who's checking your eyes at an optical shop.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other questions about this?

Customer:

The second optometrist called the first one to check where they saw the pigment..the first one said it looked like a scar at the back of the eye..so they wanted to be little extra cautious and referred to gp

Customer:

normally is pigmentation very ambigous? so that it is spotted by someone and missed by other?

Customer:

or is it very obvious that people cannot miss it

Doctor DanB :

I wouldn't waste your time with a GP either--both are about as useful at diagnosing retinal conditions. Referring to pigmentation in the back of the eye is very ambiguous, because there is naturally pigmentation in the back of the eye. Whether there is an abnormal amount, collection, or pattern of it is a different story and that's what the ophthalmologist would be able to determine, not either the GP or the optometrist.

Customer:

ok..is it a frequently occuring phenomenon or is it very rare? do many people get diagnosed with such things from an optometrist?

Doctor DanB :

Seeing a different pattern of pigmentation in the retina is extraordinarily common--but what is quite uncommon is that it is anything of significance. It is not a diagnosis, per se, but an observation. The issue here is that the optometrist is almost never going to know whether the pattern of pigmentation he/she is seeintg is normal or not (and most of the time it's normal).

Customer:

ok..I would soon schedule an appointment with an opthalomologist

Customer:

Many Thanks for your answer..

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure. Good luck.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

Hi Doctor DanB Im very happy with the experience..and I would definitely give an excellent feedback..Thank you.