Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi, I have been diagnosed with CSR on my right eye for the

I have been diagnosed with CSR on my right eye for the last 2 months and i am scheduled for my next appointment in two weeks. I am worried as i didnt have any improvements in my vision till now. My eye scan shows that the CSR is exactly at the central focal point and hence my doctor is against Laser treatment. I work as a Tech support engineer and 90% of my work is computer based. With this symptom, ,my work is affected and i am wondering if a long leave or even rest for a month or two will help for this CSR symptom.

a. Is Laser definitely not an option for my case (central focal point based)
b. How is laser different from photodynamic therapy?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hello Dr..

Dr. Rick :

Good afternoon. I am a retina specialist and can help you with anything you need to know about CSR

Customer:

I am kind of worried that my CSR symptom is at the central focal point and my dr is against laser treatment..

Customer:

I need some advice on when to proceed with Laser or even photodynamic therapy.how safe it is when considering the after treatment scars..

Dr. Rick :

how old are you? Male?

Customer:

Male..33 yrs old..

Dr. Rick :

ok.

Dr. Rick :

Well, in my two decades of experience I do not recommend any treatment for at least three months.

Did you have a fluorescein angiogram done?

Customer:

I believe so along with an retina scan which showed the elevation of the retina

Dr. Rick :

why do I wait? Because about 90% of patients have complete resolution of their CSR without any treatment at all...

Customer:

i am worried that if i wait for more time, i may end up with permanent partial vision loss..is that true?

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Probably an OCT. I use the angiogram to pinpoint the leak and rule out other issues and then, usually, follow with OCT and clinical exams unless there are problems.

Dr. Rick :

I noticed that you mentioned you are unable to do your job due to your decreased central vision.....is this true?

Customer:

yes Dr..my dr has given me a glass with 0.5 on the right eye and some stigamtism correction on the left eye..it definitely helps..but without the glasses the letters on the screen are really blurry..and i am not able to focus on them..

Dr. Rick :

No. That is not true. Waiting for the, extremely likely, chance things will get better on their own will not mean worse vision when everything is said and done......many studies have proven this fact.

Dr. Rick :

If you absolutely have to have improved vision now or loose your job/not be able to do it, then I'd say OK, go ahead with focal laser using angiography to target laser placement.

Customer:

Will the laser treatment cause any scars that can affect my vision? will those scars heal over time?

Dr. Rick :

But other then that....I would wait 3 or 4 months. Every treatment has it's risks......better to let nature take it's course with CSR. This is not the time to panic.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are in the hands of a well trained, very ethical, ophthalmologist. I would do the same thing for you in my office.....except I charge more then a general eye surgeon ;-)

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question and make you feel better?

Customer:

Thanks Dr.Will the laser treatment cause any scars that can affect my vision? will those scars heal over time?

Dr. Rick :

The scars from laser never go away. They can even enlarge over time and cause larger areas of central vision defects.

Laser treatment is nothing to rush into, nor is it anything to fear if needed.

From what you have posted you do not need it yet.

Dr. Rick :

And, hopefully you will be one of the 9 in 10 patients who never will....

Dr. Rick :

Not bad odds, eh?

Customer:

Thank you very much Dr. Deinitely not the bad odds. After speaking with you, i feel more comfortable in waiting for few more months (atleast 2)..

Dr. Rick :

Ok :-) I guess I'll have to be happy with 2 lol!

Dr. Rick :

Take care and have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

Thanks..