Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

HELLO, MY questionis for an eye dr. What effects do sorbitol

HELLO, MY questionis for an eye dr. What effects do sorbitol have on eyes ? Can they damage eyes ? I'm talking about the diet candy that has sorbitol, a sugar alcohol thats in sugarless candy ? What can you tell me ? I am diabetic. Is this candy really a good idea for diabetics ? Thanks for a reply Sherry

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes, Hi XXXXX

Customer:

HELLO....

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I am a retina surgeon and I can tell you that, while you can read on the internet that sorbitol causes retinal damage in over two decades of practice I've never seen it.

Does that mean it has never happened? No. Has the same person been hit by lightning twice? Sure.

What I am trying to say is that, in the normal way you would eat things that contain sorbitol, there is nothing to worry about from an eye point of view.

Dr. Rick :

In my opinion you can safely eat candy that has sorbitol in it and not worry about getting diabetic eye disease.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question?

Customer:

OK.I JUST NEEDED TO KNOW. ALSO, DOE.S VIETRONOMY DON'T KNOW IF THAT THE WORD OR SPELLING OR NOT ? HELP EYE EDEMA ? CAN THAT CORRECT THE EDEMA ?

Dr. Rick :

Vitrectomy is one of the surgeries I do all the time.

Dr. Rick :

Where is the edema you are talking about?

Customer:

YES, WHAT ARE GENERALLY THE OUTCOMES FOR PEOPLE WITH MACULAR EDEMA ? PROGNOSIS ?

Dr. Rick :

Macular edma can be due to many, many conditions. The final outcome and visual result depends on even more factors.........

That being said, if the underlying condition can be successfully treated while preserving the health of the photoreceptors and other retinal anatomy, central vision can often be saved with excellent post therapy vision

Customer:

WHAT ABOUT RETINA EDEMA? SAME TREATMENT ? SAME OUTCOME ?

Dr. Rick :

Same treatment factors.....even more causes.

Dr. Rick :

If you have diabetic retinopathy with macular edema you need expert care by an ophthalmologist and, if indicated, by a retina specialist.

Customer:

RECOVERY FROM SURGERY, OR RESTORATION OF EYE, TAKE WEEKS, MONTHS TO HEAL ?

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question(s)?

Customer:

SAME OUTCOMES PROGNOSIS WITH EITHER RETNA OR MACULA ?

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me more specifically what retinal issue you are having?

Also, it is OK for you to turn off your caps, unless you need them to see. If this is the case I can increase my font size for you...

Customer:

SORRY, I'm not trying to yell at you. sorry

Dr. Rick :

That is a good question, and no meaningful answer can be given without specific information on the cause, the duration, the patients medical and ocular history etc.

I can tell you, however, that a delay in treatment of either form of edema is not a good thing

Dr. Rick :

No problem.....caps lock happens to everyone at some point...

Customer:

ok.. Can you tell me one last thing... What is done for an eye during this surgery vitrectomy ?

Dr. Rick :

This is done in the operating room. Actually, here is a video on a vitrectomy for floaters. Same surgery but just a different reason:

http://www.retinavitreous.com/video%20files/intro_floaters.html

Dr. Rick :

I did three of these surgeries yesterday and everyone did just fine.

Customer:

Thanks dr. Rick.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.