Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have been having headaches for a long time due to vision

I have been having headaches for a long time due to vision problems. I do get migraines on occasion. Certain headaches though have been different then usual. I went to see a dentist about loss of teeth and dentures on tues and found out that my maxillary sinus has increased on my left due to lack of molars there. Wed ended up with one of those unusual headaches and have connected the two. So, Massive pain above left eye, left check bone hurts, left nasal seems clogged but there's nothing there. So more sore I guess, and the pain in check goes back towards left ear, which created equilibrium problems last night, making me nauseous all night. I have felt the feeling of "phantom teeth" like people due when they lose a leg, but after looking at the x ray, my sinus cavity is all the way down. very minimal bone left in that jaw line. So, question. How do I stop it from getting so intense. Woke up feeling better then night before, but now the cheek hurts, and is slowing working into that massive headache.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Thanks

Customer:

do you understand my question

Dr. Rick :

Yes

Customer:

so how do i nip it in the butt before the massive headache and nausea starts

Dr. Rick :

Given the serious loss of bone in your sinus area and your pain, you really need to get into see an ENT surgeon ASAP.

Customer:

the dentist is suggesting a bone graph to build that area back up for implants< but that will take a year

Dr. Rick :

While I do not think this is a life threatening emergency the sooner you can get expert care and repair this problem the quicker you can be free of the massive headaches and other symptoms you are having.

Customer:

i agree. Cost is a factor and I know a bone graph isnt cheap.

Dr. Rick :

While that is a good idea (my uncle is a Peridondist) as you said, it is slow. An ENT surgeon may be able to put in an artificial graft and fix things right away.

Customer:

But until he can start reintroducing bone etc, when I feel the cheek hurting, what can I do to minimize at that time

Dr. Rick :

While the DDS bone graft is not covered, your insurance should cover the ENT doctor.

Customer:

i dont have ins. self imployed

Customer:

sorry, not the fastest or greatest typer

Dr. Rick :

I understand completely....

Customer:

dentist said that he would use a ground up substance to put in there that also promotes bone growth

Customer:

total time for it to grow and heal is 8 - 12 months

Customer:

is a ent going to be able to do something different

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That is correct. The ENT doc may use a similar compound, he may take bone from you hip (the DDS won't do this) or put a silastic or similar artificial material there.

Customer:

will it take the same amount of time to grow, heal and, when they do this, is it completely filling the loss area or does it grow back into the loss area

Dr. Rick :

At this point, I think the out of pocket expense to have an ENT doctor at least give you her opinion on what she thinks could be done would be money well spent.

Dr. Rick :

a silastic implant or similar material will fix the defect right away with just a few days/weeks healing

Customer:

If the ent does it and does a hip donation per say, is it one day surgery and home or stay over night

Customer:

my husband had a shattered vertabra so I am aware of the hip graph they did

Customer:

out patient i mean

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question. Sometimes it can be outpatient surgery but with bone harvest it may be an overnighter in the hospital.

Dr. Rick :

Got it :-)

Customer:

ok. So I will talk to my reg physician and start my leg work. Until then, I am facing another evening like last night with the massive headache and nausia. what would u suggest

Customer:

i did have some sneezing on monday from something. Plant, mold dont know but sneezing through out day. would an allergy med help??

Dr. Rick :

Pre medicate yourself with motrin and nausea medicine if you have any. Try to get yourself into a place (reading in bed, watching TV, relaxed) where hopefully you won't get the monster headache and nausea......no magic bullet here I'm afraid :(

Customer:

since ive never had motrin, remind me differnce from advil. i cant do tylinol

Dr. Rick :

They are the same....just different brand names, exterior coating etc....

Customer:

so i could advil..

Dr. Rick :

yes. That will be fine

Customer:

thank you. I will speak to my doctor and the dentist and move from there. Maybe a trip to er might keep price down. Never know.

Customer:

thank you though. I appreciate your advice very much. Have an awesome day

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a good plan. I wish you the very best.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick :

You too!

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.