Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, My 5 year old son went for an eye exam today. When

My 5 year old son went for an eye exam today. When the dr took a picture of his eye that showed the retina the dr later states that he had a grey pattern on both retinas. He said he was unsure of this but thought it could be his natural pigmenation of his retinas. He was fitted for glasses. He is to follow up in 6 weeks but I am in a panic. My son is hispanic.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon. Was the doctor who examined your son an optometerist or an ophthalmologist (eye MD)?

Does your son have any visual complaints?

Was his vision and the remainder of his exam normal today?

Customer:

The DR was not an eye md. My son has not been complianing at all but a prescreening by the lions club said he needed an eye exam so he went today. Dr says he is farsighted and has astigmatism. He was fitted for glasses today.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have told me I do not think you have anything to worry about. It seems that this optometrist, who is not an MD, has purchased a camera that gives him very pretty pictures of the retina....but he is not sure what the retina really is.....

Dr. Rick :

I believe that what the optometrist was seeing is a photographic artifact. This is of no concern.

Customer:

oh thank you so much. God bless you for being on this site to help people like me.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I'm glad I could help you this evening. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

By the way, I'd skip the follow up with the optometrist. If you want to follow up I recommend consulting with a pediatric ophthalmologist.