pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK

Hi, I think that I cut my sclera from scratching my eye. Is

Hi, I think that I cut my sclera from scratching my eye. Is there anything to worry about or will it heal on its own?
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 1 year ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to help you today.

pippistrellodaqua :

Does your eye look anything like this?

Full Size Image

pippistrellodaqua :

Most scratch, bruises, or cuts on the white part of the eye manifest as a subconjuntival hemorrhage such as the picture I showed.

pippistrellodaqua :

The conjunctiva is a thin clear tissue that covers the sclera or white part of the eye. It is unlikely, but possible, that you actually cut the sclera, but that would have to be a serious cut/scratch.

pippistrellodaqua :

Welcome to the chat.

pippistrellodaqua :

If there is any chance or possibility that whatever scratched the eye actually made it through the conjunctiva and into the sclera then it may require treatment. Otherwise it is benign and will heal on its own in a few weeks.

pippistrellodaqua :

You can use an artificial tear such as Systane or Blink which is obtained over-the-counter to help with any discomfort issues. Otherwise it will likely bruise up and go away slowly over about 12 days.

Customer:

Hi, after researching on the web, I believe that it is the conjuctiva and not the sclera. It looks like the conjuctiva is wrinkled or out of place. Is this possible?

pippistrellodaqua :

I will be available to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

pippistrellodaqua :

Yes, it is possible that the conjunctiva may shift somewhat, especially if it is a deep scratch. If it looks heaped or elevated right at the site, then it may be worthwhile to obtain an antibiotic from your optometrist or ophthalmologist.

pippistrellodaqua :

Otherwise, I still recommend the artificial tear 4-6 times daily.

Customer:

Does it move back into place on its own?

pippistrellodaqua :

It may. If it is really displaced it may require a suture, but I find that rather unlikely.

pippistrellodaqua :

What did you scratch your eye with?

Customer:

When i pull my upper eyelid up it looks like the upper/outer area is not covered but the rest of the eye is covered. I'm not sure if it was a scratch or not, that's what it felt like when I woke up this morning.

pippistrellodaqua :

It would take some serious trauma to displace the conjunctiva. Even in surgery cases where we cut the conjunctiva, it is rare for the tissue to displace.

Customer:

The only other thing I can think of is that my eyes were very dry the yesterday morning when I put my contacts in and my eyelid got stuck for a couple seconds

pippistrellodaqua :

Do you have bleeding like the picture I showed at the beginning?

pippistrellodaqua :

A contact lens can cause this problem, especially with dryness.

Customer:

No bleeding but it is red from irritation with a concentrated spot which I thought was a scratch

pippistrellodaqua :

In the case of a contact lens possibly causing the concern, and I suspect that now with the additional information you have given me, you should remove the contact lenses and seek help from your optometrist. Contact lens related red eyes can be quite severe and in almost all cases require treatment (usually with antibiotics and/or steroids.)

Customer:

I haven't worn my contact lenses since this happened to my eye. It was like this when I woke up this morning and I had my glasses on

pippistrellodaqua :

A simple scratch of the eye can cause redness, but usually it is a brick red bleeding redness. Contact lens related problems cause more of an irritation, possible blurred vision, possible pain and are more related to inflammation. The spot that you mistook for a scratch may be an accumulation of white blood cells which are a classic sign of inflammation.

pippistrellodaqua :

Good, keep the lenses out. In the absence of bleeding of the white part of the eye, I find it much more likely that it is a contact lens related concern.

Customer:

Would that cause conjunctiva to be affected or wrinkled too?

pippistrellodaqua :

The conjunctiva would likely be affected in any case of inflammation of any part of the eye. The wrinkling could be due to concerns with dryness, inflammation, or even a benign growth such as a pterigium or pinguecula (though if it just showed up today the latter two options would be unlikely.)

pippistrellodaqua :

Do you have any additional follow-up concerns/questions?

pippistrellodaqua :

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating at the end of our discussion. I am more than happy to assist you further.

Customer:

Does the wrinkling go away on its own or does it have to be moved back into place?

pippistrellodaqua :

That depends on the reason for the wrinkling. If it is due to inflammation or swelling of the eye then yes it will go away once the inflammatory cause is taken care of. If the wrinkling is from a more long term effect such as the pterigium or pinguecula growths then no, it would require surgery to remove it. I suspect the first case of inflammation due to the presence of redness and irritation as well as

a history of contact lens use.

Customer:

Earlier you said that "it would take some serious trauma to displace the conjectiva"... what is an example of serious trauma?

pippistrellodaqua :

Usually a foreign body that entered at high velocity, such as while welding or grinding metal. I have not seen it with blunt trauma such as an automobile accident. It would have to cause a deep cut and the conjuntival material would have to fold on itself to cause a wrinkle. I think it is something that the patient would definitely know about.

Customer:

Okay, thank you for all of your help. I will definitely give you an "excellent service" rating!

pippistrellodaqua :

You are most welcome. Please don't hesitate to contact me again in the future if other problems arise.

Customer:

Thanks

pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience: Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.