Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince

My right eye is very sore, especially when i squeeze my eyelids

Customer Question

My right eye is very sore, especially when i squeeze my eyelids or when i look up. I also have quite a bad headache on my right temple.

Can anyone help?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Pearl.com

It is likely that you have an episode of migraine. Usually the acute episodes last between 30-60mins and can be recurrent. Treatment for the acute episode is Tab.Acetaminophen 650mg, 1 tablet twice a day for 2-3 days. For recurrent episodes prophylactic treatment is given such as tablet.propranolol/ tab.flunarizine. If the headache and eye soreness persists beyond a few hours , in that case the pain could be due to sinusitis too ( preceded by a bout of common cold a few weeks back). The same analgesics would help along with steam inhalation at bedtime.

If the above mentioned analgesics do not help, then it is better to consult your primary care physician for a closer look and investigations.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you -

But I have had this pain for around 12 hours now and it has only gotten worse.
My sinuses are quite clear too.

Could it be anything else?

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

It is unlikely to be due to an ocular cause as you do not seem to have any other eye symptom. Eye soreness caould also occur with eye muscle fatigue ( but that would have been bilateral and not just in one eye).The other caondition with similar headache could be tension headache. Here the pain can last for days too. Causes include prolonged work in the same posture( as in continuous typing/reading), neck muscle strain.Triggering factors includes excessive caffiene/smoking/alcohol, stress,fatigue.

Please remember that analgesics can only help to reduce the pain for a while and over use of these can cause rebound headache too. Use analgesics only for a short while as in 3-5 days. In case symptoms persist beyond this period then you must visit your primary care physician for a detailed evaluation and investigation.

Thank you and best wishes.