pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

Hello, I got prescription glasses about 2 months ago after

Hello, I got prescription glasses about 2 months ago after only using reading glasses for a while, I don't know if it is the new glasses or not but ever since i started wearing them I've had a small "disturbance" on top of my right eye just below my eye brow, it is not really if at all painful, it is just bothersome. My eyes focus good and vision is not blurry, at times it kinda feels like my eye is heavy I looked in the mirror and its is not inflamated at all or red, I still use my reading glasses every once in a while but most of the time I use my new glasses. What could it be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 2 years ago.

pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to assist you today.

pippistrellodaqua :

Is this problem you are noticing a bump or lump on the eyelid?

pippistrellodaqua :

Welcome to the chat.

Customer:

no , no bumps or anything like that

pippistrellodaqua :

Could you describe the "disturbance" a bit more. Is it a disturbance of the vision or of the comfort of the eye?

Customer:

it is more like my eye lid feels a bit heavy and it is bothersome but , It does disturb my vision in a sense because that happens, but my vision is not blurry. it does not happen all the time but I have that feeling right now

pippistrellodaqua :

Is there any itch of the eye? Sore or tired feeling?

Customer:

it feels tired, there is no itch or redness.

pippistrellodaqua :

Why were you using the reading glasses prior to the new prescription? You are young to be using reading glasses. Do you know, by chance, what the power of the new spectacles is?

Customer:

I got reading glasses because a few years back I went to a local optometrist and he said I needed reading glasses, I also work behind a computer most of the day. unfortunately I do not know the power of the spectacles.

pippistrellodaqua :

Thanks. The most likely source of this disturbance is something called "asthenopia" which comes from eyestrain.

pippistrellodaqua :

Often times we see a difference in the prescription of the two eyes. If you were using a pair of over-the-counter reading glasses and now are using an individualized prescription it may case eyestrain. Also, computer and near work alone can often cause this type of a problem.

pippistrellodaqua :

The first thing I would suggest is to have your optometrist double check your prescription.

pippistrellodaqua :

Also, I suggest taking breaks during your day on the computer. As simple as this sounds, taking a bread by looking at something at distance for just a few seconds every couple of minutes may eliminate this eyestrain.

pippistrellodaqua :

You may also want to consider using an artificial tear such as Systane or Blink which can help as well.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will be available to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

Customer:

can I purchase systane or blink over the counter?

pippistrellodaqua :

Yes, there is no medication in them and they are OTC.

pippistrellodaqua :

Please don't hesitate to ask any other follow-up questions. Otherwise please consider leaving a positive rating.

pippistrellodaqua :

I'll stay on for a while to make sure your question has been answered fully.

Customer:

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX my questions. I will call my Optometrist and set up an appointment. thanks again.

pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience: Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK