Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I have had an eye infection for almost 9 weeks and dont know

I have had an eye infection for almost 9 weeks and don't know what to do. I saw my eye dr 3-4 different times and she tried several eye drops w/ no success-Zylet, steriod eye drops, pink eye drops, allergy drops, even tried no drops for 2 days to see if I was allergic to the preservatives. Nothing has worked! I have a thick yellowish discharge in my eyes every morning-my right eye is the worst. My left eye just has a little discharge. I went to another eye dr and she put me on Azasite. I thought it was helping but now it back to where I was. My right eye also weeps at the corner constantly. I have worn contacts for 25 years so my eyes have issues from time to time but I have not worn them since this started. I do the lid scrub and warm water on my eyes in the shower . Any ideas on what might help??? It seems crazy it has lasted this long. Thanks-TinaC

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. How long have you been doing the lid scrubs in the shower?

Doctor DanB :

Let me tell you about how I think that blepharitis treatment (the lid scrubs in the shower you're doing) ought to be done. I think if you change how you do this, and do them consistenly every day, I think it will help--you may need more than just this, though.

In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so I would recommend using artificial tears 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.

Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working.

If this isn't working, then it may require doing something like Zylet concurrently. In addition, some people need to be on a low-dose doxycycline (antibiotic) to help with getting the tear film to be more healthy.

The bottom-line is the treatment for blepharitis, which it sounds like you're being asked to do, needs to be consistent and specific, and even then, some people's blepharitis can require additional measures, such as the concomitant use of a steroid/antibiotic, topically, as well as oral doxycycline and/or flaxseed oil and/or omega-3 fatty acids.

If you feel like you've done this all very well for 3-4 weeks and still don't see a significant improvement in your symptoms, then I would recommend going to see a corneal specialist (get a second opinion)--when there are roadblocks to every road you turn down in treatment, I think it is best to get a second, fresh opinion.

Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer: thanks for your reply. I have been doing the scrubs for several weeks but not the hot compresses. I will try that. I was worried about the effects of this infection on my eye since it has gone on so long. I will try and keep my fingers crossed that it helps.
Customer: Thanks for your reply. I have been doing the lid scrubs with the ocusoft for about 2 weeks but switched to baby shampoo about a week ago. I have not done the hot compresses, I will try that.
You're welcome. Good luck!