Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have macular degeneration of the dry type. Is there any help

I have macular degeneration of the dry type. Is there any help available from the mayo clinic that i can take advantage off?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is your eye doctor an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

Has she suggested that you take anything for your dry macular degeneration?

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Is your eye doctor an optometrist or an ophthalmologist?

I have not heard back from you so let me take this time to answer your question.

I am a retina surgeon with over two decades of experience and I treat dry macular degeneration every single day in my office.

Your doctor is correct. There is no stem cell therapy that is available at this time for your condition although a lot of research is being done on this very important condition.

So what can you do? Well, unfortunately, there is no way to rid yourself of dry macular degeneration once it has started. The best thing you can do is to eat well and live a healthy lifestyle as you have already begun. Also, not smoking is a very important thing to be following.

Lastly, a special formulation of multi-vitamins was proven in the Age-Related Eye Disease Study to slow the progression of macular degeneration and decrease the incidence of severe vision loss in macular degeneration. To that end, I would recommend buying one of these supplements (they can be found at any drug store over-the-counter) and start using them. There are many brand names available.ocuvite, and Icaps are some examples.

All of the ocular vitamins that follow the formula recommended in the AREDS study are of equal efficacy; but if you have smoked before in your life, do not take any of these supplements that have Vitamin A (also called beta-carotene) in them because that can increase your risk for lung cancer.

As your eye doctor told you no clinic, not even The Mayo Clinic or Moorfield's in London have yet come up with a better treatment than what I have discussed above which, in conjunction with daily checking of your Amsler Grid, should allow you to maintain good vision for your lifetime.

Does this make sense to you?

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.