Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I had a blood vessel burst in my eye and now there is a little

Customer Question

I had a blood vessel burst in my eye and now there is a little brown spot in the white of the eye. The blood vessels are red around it and there isn't any pain or irritation, just a little dry. Is the spot going to go away?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.

Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. How long ago did the blood vessel burst?

Doctor DanB :

Is there any way you can take a picture of this and upload it to your next post?

Customer:

almost 3 weeks. The eye seems a little less red everyday. But is this like a scab or something that will eventually just fall off?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Doctor DanB :

thank you for that picture. As you maybe can imagine, even with this good picture you took of this brown spot, it is still quite difficult for me to definitively say what this is; I usually have the advantage of being able to look up close at something like this in the microscope and zooming in on this picture on my monitor just dims out the resolution. However, in spite of this, this doesn't appear to be old blood or hemorrhage. This looks to be something more along the lines of either a foreign-body or even a pigmented lesion. I can't explain to you how this came to be there (it's possible that a foreign-body came into the eye and then was obscured by blood until now, if you had rubbed it or something). Suffice it to say, though, I would recommend going to have this examined by an ophthalmologist to determine what this is. I would not expect that hemorrhage would still be there after three weeks. Also, the injected blood vessels surrounding it speak to the fact that there is still some considerable inflammation associated with is, which would lend credability to the fact that perhaps this is a foreign-body. Does that make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

I went to an glasses dr originally who looked at it under a microscope. She didn't see any foreign body and I was indoors when it happened. I did feel like a dart had been thrown at my eye originally but it didn't make sense as there was nothing there I was doing something strenuous though at the time.

Doctor DanB :

That's somewhat comforting to know that the glasses doctor didn't see anything. Unfortunately, though, these kinds of doctors don't have the requisite training to know the intracacies of the eye. I wouldn't absolutely trust their exam--hence my recommendation to see an ophthalmologist.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Thank you. I did follow your advice and it turns out it was a foreign object. It is now on the mend, doesn't hurt and the red is going away. I should have come here first instead of wasting money on an optometrist.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad you're on the mend!