Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive been diagnosed w/blepharitis. Did a week course of heavy

I've been diagnosed w/blepharitis. Did a week course of heavy duty steroid drops (can't remember name) and doc has now switched me to Lotemax for daily care. I've also been using general lubricant drops. Was at pharmacy yesterday and turns out pharmacist has same condition and advised her eye doc said to use Blink and it has definitely helped better than generic lubricant drops. I also put a hot moist cloth over eyelids 1x/day for several minutes and do the eye scrub thing w/baby shampoo. Just wondering if there are any other suggestions to help manage this condition.
Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I do not agree with the use of steroids or antibiotic drops for the treatment of blepharitis, except in rare cases.

Dr. Rick :

Blink, however, is good :)

Customer:

I understand that the Lotemax may increase eye pressure and am only using 1x/day vs the 2 or 3 my eye doc said I could do. Do you suggest anything else other than Blink?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are doing the correct thing with warm compresses and baby shampoo lid scrubs. Here is how I like to do the lid scrubs for blepharitis:

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to hear that you are doing well. The lotemax will help with inflammation and make you feel a lot better while the lid scrubs and warm compresses take effect.

One thing to know, however, is that even one drop a day of a steroid eye drop can cause complications but it should be safe to use short term.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I think blink is one of the better lubricating drops but any of them, such as lacrilube or refresh, work well.

Customer:

Good idea about the warmth of the shower helping the eye lid scrub. I was just doing at the sink. I forgot to say that I think my doc was aggressive w/steroid drops was because I had a bump on inside of lower lid - a blockage he said and we needed to get it to shrink. It's still there but much smaller w/treatments I've done and doesn't bother me so we're leaving it alone unless it flares up again.

The pharmacist who suggested Blink said it's for contact lens wearers but anyone can use and when I look at ingredients it looks like they mimic what's normally in the body vs general lubricants which seem to be oil byproducts.

All your suggestions are very good. Appreciate a second opinion.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.