Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is there a way for a 59 yr. women to increase the magnification

Is there a way for a 59 yr. women to increase the magnification of your glasses with out increasing that "huge" look in your glasses. I have never worn contact, I do have some dry eye symptoms and use over the counter "Natural Tears". I also think I have developed astigmatism.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you talking about glasses for reading or distance?

Customer:

I have tri-focals. I grew up far sighted and needed glasses about 40 yrs old. But it's reading that is most changed.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, being far sighted and needing reading glasses the best way to minimize the magnification of your eyes and face by the glasses is to make your eyeglass frames as small as possible.

Dr. Rick :

have you tried no line bifocals? This will also help to minimize the "huge" look from your glasses.

Customer:

Is there any kind of new contacts that would be possibe?

Dr. Rick :

Yes there are some choices available in contacts that have been successfully used in patient with dry eyes. With them you could either wear readers over the contacts or do what is a called a "monovision" fit, where one eye is "set" for near tasks and the other for distance. This would get rid of the "huge" issue completely.

Customer:

Do older patients have trouble with the "monovision"

Dr. Rick :

Not necessarily. My 71 year old grandmother wears them ;)

Dr. Rick :

I would speak to your eye doctor about giving it a try. If you don't like the monovision but the contacts are comfortable it may not be that inconvenient to just use readers......that is what I do.....

Customer:

I am thinking of going to the Milwaukee eye Institute in Milwaukee. Any other suggestion to pick the right kind of eye dr.

Dr. Rick :

I am in Wisconsin......Go Pack!

You will get top quality care there.....I highly recommend that office.

Customer:

Thanks Very Much! Good Day for Packers Fans!

Dr. Rick :

Yup...but still had some bad calls....sucks to be out of challenges when you could really use 'em :(

Customer:

I didn't watch for heard my family yelling that must of been what it was about!

Dr. Rick :

Yup. Lots of yelling at our house too...makes the dogs nervous :)

Dr. Rick :

Take care and have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.