Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Ive got a spunge like bump on my right side of my head about

Customer Question

I've got a spunge like bump on my right side of my head about 10cm in diameter
I cant remember any trauma or blow to my head
my right eye is bloodshot and blue
and the bump is pulsating and some time sore
I found the bump about three to four days ago
and my eye turned red and bloodshot inside two days ago
I did saw my GP and she said its a haematoma and I should see a Psychiatrist (who I saw five years ago on a weekly basis for alchol abuse during my divorce)
and I need to be admitted ? . ? . ?

Please advise I've I need to be consurnerd about the head injury?

Thank You
H.DuPreez
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is interesting that your doctor, who knows you well, feels that the treatment for this hematoma is admission to a psychiatric ward. As you know, this would not usually be the first line therapy for this sort of thing.....

Dr. Rick :

The redness of your eye, from what you have posted is most likely a subconjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

I think the best thing you can do at this point is follow the advice of your GP.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.