Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Hi, 6 days ago I was lighting a match, and a spark jumped into

Hi, 6 days ago I was lighting a match, and a spark jumped into my eye. Went to the doctor, and he said that there was just a small injury and he told me to use an antibiotic for two days. I did, but my eye continues to be swelled and I feel as something is still inside, and it waters continually. Went back to the doctor yesterday, and he said the eye is in good health; but I do not feel like that. Do you believe that as the spark was of phosphorous it may be causing some allergic reaction?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

What kind of doctor did you visit? Was he an eye specialist or a general practitioner?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was you eye examined only with a torch or was it examined on certain equipments?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

your eye

Hello Susana,

I switched over to the Q&A mode since I did not find you in the chat or online.

Since you continue to have foreign body sensation and watering from that eye, there are two possibilities- 1) there is a tiny corneal abrasion( the spark could have caused a tiny corneal abrasion),2) there is a conjunctival burn( a tiny burn of the white part of the eye). Corneal abrasion heals well with lubricating eye drops and patch of the eye for 24 hours. Lubricating eye drops such as refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4-6 times a day can be continued for another 4-5 days. If it a conjunctival burn, it will heal within 5-6 days with application of the antibiotic eye ointment given.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, my internet connection collapsed until now. I will continue with the tear drops. My eye is still swollen and it hurts a little. I wonder if I should apply something fresh on it, or I should leave it as is. Thank you and sorry for not having answered your mails.

Susana

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

I guess you can try taking Oral Tab.Acetaminophen 500 mg, 1 tab twice a day for 3 days. The swelling and pain should subside with this. Continue with the antibiotic eye ointment at bedtime for a week.

At then end of another week of lubricating eye drops + eye ointment along with 3 days of oral tablets, if symptoms persist or worsen, then please do consult an ophthalmologist for a closer look, to look out for a possible corneal abrasion.

Thank you and best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr.,

I will try with the Acetaminophen, and continue using the antibiotic at bed time and eye drops during the day. The ophthalmologist said it was a very tiny corneal abrasion. I wonder if it is right to begin using the antibiotic again since I stopped using it two days ago.

Thank you for your help

Using the antibiotic again will not be of any problem. You can use if for another week.Just a tiny grain of the ointment into the eye is enough.