Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Im a 28 years old male who have been experiencing some strange

I'm a 28 years old male who have been experiencing some strange symptoms. It all started after I had oral sex in Dec. 2011. I remember catching a flu immediately afterwards and was put on antibiotics for 1 week. Once I was done with the antibiotics and two weeks later, I started having some tingling/slight burning sensation on the tip of my tongue and a white layer on my whole tongue. It felt like sand paper; the condition usually becomes worse when I eat sugary or diary products and yogurt as well. I have seen several doctors and some confirmed that I have oral candida (while other said its all in your head) and was put on several antifungal medications, but with no improvement unfortunately. I do suffer from mild acid reflux every now and then, and have done a colon screening orally and anally, but nothing came up. I gave up hope and thought this might go away, only to suffer from another problem now (red eyes) that won't respond to medications. Redness is in both my eyes, but mostly in my left eye that sometimes twitch for days. I've seen 2 doctors for this, one said its an eye infection and the other said its looks normals. I don't feel pain in my eyes, but the bloodshots does irritate me sometimes. It feels like there is something stuck in my eye. Eye lubricants does help a bit. I have tried antibiotic drops but with no improvement. I tried to ignore this condition as well in hopes it might go away someday; but surprise!! Now I'm starting to have sinus problems. Its the same feeling you get in your sinus when the weather is too cold.
I have also performed HIV tests 3 times just to be sure, and all have returned negative. I also have done a comprehensive vitamin deficiency test, and I did have an extreme vitamin D deficiency, but have got treated for that and was able to bring it back to the normal level.

I don't know whats going on with me. I have seen around 4-7 doctors and no one was able to confirm whats wrong with me. It seems to me that there is something that is causing the tongue, eye, and sinus problems but I don't know what. Could this all be linked together? Why are my doctors not able to diagnose this?
Please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, it sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Customer:

hi

yes thats correct

Dr. Rick :

I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief. It seems obvious to me that your current doctors have reached the bottom of their bag of tricks and, yet, you are still having these problems. Is this something that I'm going to be able to figure out using "chat" as my only diagnostic tool? Of course not....I'm good, but not THAT good lol! I do, however, think I can point you in the right direction.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you have been receiving good care from very qualified physicians without any significant lasting improvement in your condition. At this point I think the best thing you can do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately, I do not know much about the Teaching Hospitals around Bahrain but I would be happy to check the internet for you or, better yet, you could ask your friends or doctors for some names.

Dr. Rick :

Actually, this looks like one of the best hospitals in your area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Hospital_of_Bahrain

Customer:

I can go and give them a try.. but i'm pretty sure they will just put me on antibiotics again which does make my tongue even worse.. but I think I can give them a shot and see how things work out

Dr. Rick :

That sounds like your best chance of getting to the bottom of this. I'm sorry that you have been suffering for so long :(

Customer:

I've been thinking about going to Bangkok for treatment. I've been hearing positive things about the hospitals their.

Do you think by any chance I have some kind of STD?

Customer:

I did have an HIV test done 3 times, but never for other STD.. I did ask for it, but my doctors all said its not any type of STD so there's no need to do further tests

Dr. Rick :

I think you have a good chance of the doctors at International Hospital of Bahrain working together as a team to figure out what is the underlying issue(s).

No. I do not believe that what you are suffering from is a STD or HIV from what you have posted. I think you can rest easy on this and put that worry out of your mind.

Customer:

Thats a relief!!

How about antifungal medications like, Duflican.. How long should this be taken? I was put on duflican for like 5 days only.. But I've read online that antifungal medication should be taken atleast 2 weeks.

Dr. Rick :

You are correct. 5 days in the majority of cases is not long enough therapy. This is just another example, I believe, of the difficulty you are having without a coordinated team of doctors, each with their sub-specialty knowledge, taking care of the issues that they know best while communicating with the other experts so everyone is on the same page.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, I totally agree. I have tried explaining this to my doctors, but almost each of them said that this all might just be in your head, which is non sense to me!

Dr. Rick :

That is why you need to switch to an expert team approach. If the doctors have a preconceived notion that it is all in your head then they will stop looking for other things that may be the cause of your problems. I believe you will find physician Professors at the teaching hospital to be more open minded.

Customer:

Do tongue problems indicate a problem in the internal organs? After my ultra sound, I did have a mild case of fatty liver, and a slightly enlarged spleen.. Which I was told was nothing out of the ordinary.

Dr. Rick :

I don't think so, but I'm not a sub-specialist in that area. This would be an excellent question to ask the team of doctors at the International Hospital of Bahrain.

Customer:

Ok.. Thank you for your time..

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope that you feel better soon. It has been a pleasure chatting with you this morning. I'm in Wisconsin, USA.....it sure is a small world nowadays, eh?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.